AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Any motherboard with socket S1 ?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/15/2006 01:29 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/15/2006 01:29 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
dorfsmay

Is there any motherboard with a socket S1 out there ?
I can't find any ?

Will there be any available, or is that going to be limited to laptop ?

If so, when should we expect to see them on the market ?

09/15/2006 05:52 AM

Author Icon
Greyhound

quote:

Originally posted by: Unknown Is there any motherboard with a socket S1 out there ?
I can't find any ?

If you're asking about a Desktop, i.e. ATX or µATX motherboard then no, there are no Socket S1 desktop boards that I know of.
quote:

Originally posted by: Unknown Will there be any available, or is that going to be limited to laptop ?

Since Low-power parts with very similar specifications compared to mobile Socket S1 parts are available for the regular Desktop Socket AM2, there is no real reason to use a mobile part in a desktop motherboard anymore.
For example, the Socket AM2 Athlon 64 X2 3800+ EE SFF (Energy Efficient Small Form Factor) has a 35W TDP and is clocked at 2.0GHz with 512KB L2-cache per core which makes it pretty much identical to a Turion 64 X2 TL-60 (specification-wise).

Many people liked to use some of the older, 754-pin mobile parts in desktop boards to achieve a significantly reduced power-consumption/heat generation which (although it was feasible and did work just fine in many cases) resulted often in various compatibility issues, e.g. Heatsink installation on lidless parts, BIOS-issues, etc.
The Socket AM2 EE and especially EE SFF parts are designed for use in a silent or small form factor environment such as HTPCs where noise, heat-generation and power-consumption are critical.
Since they are basically just normal desktop parts which have been certified/validated to run stably at a significantly lower core voltage reducing heat generation and power-consumption, there are no more compatibility issues (i.e. you can use any Socket AM2 motherboard and heatsink you like).

Consequently, there is no need at all for Desktop-style Socket S1 motherboards which is why I wouldn't expect any motherboard manufacturer to make such a board.

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

<center><font color=red>MODERATOR</center></font>

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 89W :: Asus M2N32SLI Deluxe :: 2x1024MB Muskin XP2-6400 DDR2-800 :: BeQuiet! Darkpower Pro 530W :: 2x WD Raptor 74GB/10k rpm, RAID 0 :: ATI Radeon X1950XTX
 03/03/2007 05:47 AM

Author Icon
djohn

It seems impossible to buy this cpu, do you have any suggestion where to find it (or a similar CPU with 35W TDP for desktop)?
Thanks
 03/04/2007 09:48 AM

Author Icon
GremliN

AMD Athlon X2 3800+ EE (maybe there was even more in it), at least there is an AM2 35W X2 3800+.
 04/18/2007 12:07 AM

Author Icon
dorfsmay

Yep... I agree with djohn, it is impossible to buy the Athlon 35 Watt, I'm starting to doubt that it exist.
 09/28/2007 05:31 AM

Author Icon
Corsair

Hi Folks,

I hope it won't be to late, here there are two motherboard with S1 socket.

KINO-690S1
and
LV-681

both for Turion and Mobile Sempron in Mini-ITX format.
---
Cheers / Corsair
 10/27/2007 10:40 AM

Author Icon
puddy

My Dell 1501 has the chip and s1 motherboard, so it likes like they are both available for computer manufactures only!

I have been looking for a info on what is the fastest chip I can drop in in 6 months time.

I did not get a choice of CPU or the whole system, dell gave me this laptop because my old laptop kept overheating. Who says Dell are bad to deal with?

Puddy

-------------------------
Dell Inspiron 1501 Laptop 120gb hard drive 2gb DDR2 Memory X300 onboard video card 16speed region free DVD Running Vista Ultimate
 08/05/2009 05:44 AM

Author Icon
goldjerry

Bump.

I've ended up with two Turion 64 X2 processors so I've been searching for a motherboard with two S1 sockets, but haven't had any luck. I'm not surprised, as motherboards with just ONE S1 socket are still in short supply. Nevertheless, I thought I'd ask here just in case someone does actually know of a motherboard with two S1 sockets.

Or, does anyone know of an S1 motherboard that's under $150 US? Under $100 would be even better, but something tells me that's not going to happen -- doubtful about $150 even...

These darn processors are sitting around doing nothing... I'm itching to use them, but I'm not exactly made of money.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information