Increase font size
Topic Title: 2GHz xp-m 2400+ showing as 700MHz K7
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/09/2006 05:36 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/09/2006 05:36 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
dggeek

I ordered a Mobile Athlon 2400+ processor from NewEgg.com about 7 months ago. I've been trying to get it to work since then. I've tried 3 different motherboards, thinking that was where the problem was, but I can't get it to run any higher than 700MHz. "My Computer" Properties tells me it is a K7. I have even run through a diagnostic on pcpitstop.com and it says the same thing. The latest motherboard I am using is an Epox EP-8KMM3I-X. This board has no clocking options in the bios, so that should not be the problem. Am I doing something wrong? I have checked the chip and it says AMD2400 on it.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.
 04/09/2006 05:42 PM

Author Icon
jack1314

quote:

Originally posted by: dggeek
I ordered a Mobile Athlon 2400+ processor from NewEgg.com about 7 months ago. I've been trying to get it to work since then. I've tried 3 different motherboards, thinking that was where the problem was, but I can't get it to run any higher than 700MHz. "My Computer" Properties tells me it is a K7. I have even run through a diagnostic on pcpitstop.com and it says the same thing. The latest motherboard I am using is an Epox EP-8KMM3I-X. This board has no clocking options in the bios, so that should not be the problem. Am I doing something wrong? I have checked the chip and it says AMD2400 on it.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Whats the OPN number on your cpu?

-------------------------
Athlon 64 3000+
2 x 512mb pc2700
Nvidia Geforce4 440 GO 64mb
NEC DVD +/- RW ND-6450A
Windows xp pro
 04/09/2006 08:09 PM

Author Icon
kirbalo

I'm not familiar with that board, or it's BIOS, but are you sure there isn't a way to "open" the settings, i.e. having something set to "Automatic" may hide some secondary settings that you may be looking for...try "Manual" if it is an option.

Using Mobile Athlon XP's in desktop motherboards can be hit or miss. Did you research to find out if this board is successfully running Mobile chips? Mobile chips will boot with the lowest multiplier for safety reasons, I believe. You should, if the BIOS is OC friendly, be able to change the multiplier from there.

-------------------------
My Rigs:

Athlon 64 3400+ (CG) @ 2.4GHz, Asus K8N-E Deluxe, 2 GB OCZ DDR400, BFG nVidia 6800OC 128MB, Seagate 200GB PATA, Seagate 160GB PATA, Dual Boot XP and x64, Antec 350W Mid-Tower

Athlon 64 3400+ (E3) @ 2.4GHz, Asus K8N-E Deluxe, 2 GB OCZ DDR400, eVGA nVidia 6800 128MB, Seagate 320GB SATA, Vista x64, Antec 350W Mid-Tower
 04/10/2006 12:11 AM

Author Icon
SevensWorld3

this board ~ {EP-8KMM3I-X} auto senses the startup multiplier of your cpu when you run optimized defaults the first time. It doesn't have the ability to change multipliers manually, or voltage.

So the problem basically is (and will likely remain) that you can not set up to run a mobile with any luck in it.

If you're up for the games of it though, hit this link:

cpumsr main page

read this page:

multies within windows

and download here:

cpumsr.88 DL

let us all know if you have any success with it, because all K(x)400 chipsets are supposed to be preenabled for FID identification, as the software requires.

also you might want to read this page -- it has your board and cpu on it (cool):

Multiplier on the fly - Confirmed list

however, read this next link very carefully (because it may help explain the VCore effects you return once in Windows, with other monitoring software):

look for VID code relevance

post back with your findings(?). happy hunting.
 04/10/2006 10:15 PM

Author Icon
dggeek

Thanks for the help guys!

After setting the jumper on the board to 133MHz FSB (duh) and using Crystal CPUID to set the multiplier to 13.5x, I was able to get it running at 1.8GHz. This has been very educational. I've never messed with a software multiplier before.

Now the only thing standing in the way of me and my media center PC is my darn Radeon 7000, which doesn't seem to work with Windows MCE.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information