AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Future-proofness of current Mobile Athlon 64?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/22/2006 01:36 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/22/2006 01:36 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Augustus

Hi everybody,

I'm new to this forum; thought it would be a good place to get some opinions. I'd like to know if it's worth buying a laptop based around the current Mobile Athlon 64 4000+. From what I can tell, this is a more powerful processor than any of the Turions that are out there right now. I'm not too overly worried about getting a 5 hour battery life. I'm more interested in performance. What holds me back from buying now is all the hype surrounding the new dual core procs that should be coming out in the next couple of months. Are these going to be so much better than the current Mobile Athlon 64s that it's worth waiting? Or will the 4000+ be able to perform pretty well for the next couple of years? It seems to me that dual core technology will take some time yet to be effectively used; Athlon 64s have been out for 3 years, and while they have offered excellent performance, it seems their 64 bit capabilities are still not really being used as far as the vast majority of programs are concerned. So, can I buy a Mobile Athlon 64 4000+ right now and feel ok that it'll serve me well for the next couple of years, or should I wait for the new processors that are coming in a couple of months? I'd really appreciate whatever opinions anyone can offer. Thanks.
 04/22/2006 10:05 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
kirbalo

quote:

Originally posted by: Augustus
~snipped~
I'd like to know if it's worth buying a laptop based around the current Mobile Athlon 64 4000+. From what I can tell, this is a more powerful processor than any of the Turions that are out there right now. I'm not too overly worried about getting a 5 hour battery life. I'm more interested in performance. What holds me back from buying now is all the hype surrounding the new dual core procs that should be coming out in the next couple of months. Are these going to be so much better than the current Mobile Athlon 64s that it's worth waiting? Or will the 4000+ be able to perform pretty well for the next couple of years?
~snipped~

Your question really boils down to whether you multitask your system or not, and how future proof you want to be. That 4000 will run single threaded applications faster than just about anything else out there. As software becomes more "thread aware", you will start to see large improvements in performance from dual core systems. Even if you run multiple apps. at the same time, many reviews have demonstrated how the dual core picks up where HyperThreading left off. Vista, if it ever actually gets released, will move 64 bit to the forefront. Multi-threading is becoming more prevalent, and will eventually become the norm for many types of applications that are now resource starved.

There are so many variables to purchasing/building a system, and you have to evaluate what is important to you now. Or can you wait?

If that 4000+ is a good deal, and you want to game on your lappy and don't multitask, then go for it. Otherwise, multi-core is the future for laptops as well as desktops & servers.

-------------------------
My Rigs:

Athlon 64 3400+ (CG) @ 2.4GHz, Asus K8N-E Deluxe, 2 GB OCZ DDR400, BFG nVidia 6800OC 128MB, Seagate 200GB PATA, Seagate 160GB PATA, Dual Boot XP and x64, Antec 350W Mid-Tower

Athlon 64 3400+ (E3) @ 2.4GHz, Asus K8N-E Deluxe, 2 GB OCZ DDR400, eVGA nVidia 6800 128MB, Seagate 320GB SATA, Vista x64, Antec 350W Mid-Tower
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information