Increase font size
Topic Title: Mobile AMD Sempron Spec?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07/31/2006 06:33 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/31/2006 06:33 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
eskimosound
Deprecated

Hi Guys, /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="h34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />

Right, I've just bought a mobile AMD sempron CPU. (Don't ask me why, long story, ebay, I didn't know much about CPU's, buyer wouldn't let me withdraw etc.)
It's tiny so I realise it won't fit in any normal motherboard.
I have had a look at the AMD website and have not been able to find a section where it gives you recommended boards for your CPU's. Is this because it's a mobile?
I don't know what to do with it really. I would like to know it's exact spec just out of curiosity as there are loads of ways of finding this info for the "Normal" chips.
Would it be able to fit an SFF board?
What can I do, can you build your own mobile? or do they do barebones laptops?
It seems brand new but do mobile chips have a heatsink? (It's not covered in thermal grease)

The numbers on it are:

SMS3100BQX3LF
Z880156A61175
CBBWE0602FPBW

Any help Guy's!? /wacko.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wacko:" border="0" alt="wacko.gif" />

-------------------------
 07/31/2006 10:56 AM

Author Icon
Greyhound

quote:

Originally posted by: Unknown It's tiny so I realise it won't fit in any normal motherboard.

What you have is a 754-pin part which means that it will mechanically fit in any Socket 754 motherboard.
Unlike their Desktop-counterparts, Mobile parts are lidless, i.e. they are not covered by a metal heatspreader - as a consequence, you will have to be very careful when mounting a heatsink and there might be compatibility issues with some heatsinks due to the smaller size (=height, not other dimensions) of a mobile part (remember, no heatspreader on top of the die).

quote:

Originally posted by: Unknown I have had a look at the AMD website and have not been able to find a section where it gives you recommended boards for your CPU's. Is this because it's a mobile?

Yes.
Generally, Mobile parts are not supposed to be used on any Desktop motherboard (although they will work in many cases) so there's no official support if you intend to put a mobile part in anything other than a Laptop/Notebook.
quote:

Originally posted by: Unknown I would like to know it's exact spec just out of curiosity as there are loads of ways of finding this info for the "Normal" chips.

Unfortunately, there are no official specifications for Mobile parts available on AMDs site (with the exception of some very old and a very small number of newer parts)...since you posted the processor's OPN (Ordering Part Number), I'll be able to help you out, though

Mobile Sempron 3100+, 25W TDP ('Thin & Light' segment):
754-pin lidless OµPGA package, 1.8GHz (x9.0 multiplier), 256KB L2-cache, 1.20V Vcore, 95°C max. temp, revision E6 (90nm SOI, SSE3 and AMD64 supported).
quote:

Originally posted by: Unknown Would it be able to fit an SFF board?

Yes you can put it on a SFF board and, like I said, it'll also fit on a normal Socket 754 Desktop motherboard.
Even though Mobile parts are generally compatible with and will mechanically fit on any Socket 754 motherboard, there are a few catches when running a mobile part in a desktop board:

- On the vast majority of desktop boards (with a few exceptions), Mobile parts will not be properly recognized, which means it'll report an 'Unknown processor' or something and you will probably have to manually set the appropriate multiplier and core-voltage in BIOS (make sure your motherboard's BIOS supports this - it usually will, but can be a problem on many small µ-ATX boards as well as some SFF boards).

- ALL mobile parts are lidless, i.e. they don't have a metal heatspreader like 754-pin (or any other) Desktop parts. Like I said above, this can be a bit of a problem when installing the heatsink.

- Not a problem exclusive to mobiles, but do make sure you update your BIOS to the latest version for rev. E support if you have an older 754-pin motherboard.
quote:

Originally posted by: Unknown What can I do, can you build your own mobile? or do they do barebones laptops?

At present, you can't really build your own Laptop from scratch as a normal end-user.
Barebone-systems do exist, although availability of such barebones may be limited (unfortunately, most barebones are designed for the competition's mobile processors).
quote:

Originally posted by: Unknown It seems brand new but do mobile chips have a heatsink? (It's not covered in thermal grease)

If you're referring to an IHS (Integrated HeatSpreader), like the Desktop parts then no, mobiles generally don't have one (as I already mentioned above )

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

<center><font color=red>MODERATOR</center></font>

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 89W :: Asus M2N32SLI Deluxe :: 2x1024MB Muskin XP2-6400 DDR2-800 :: BeQuiet! Darkpower Pro 530W :: 2x WD Raptor 74GB/10k rpm, RAID 0 :: ATI Radeon X1950XTX
 07/31/2006 11:55 AM

Author Icon
eskimosound
Deprecated

Thanks Greyhound!
That's everything. I think it will get a bit too technical for me so I will probably sell it on rather than mess about with the BIOS. That will be for when I'm a bit more knowledgable. It also came with some tiny ram!
Spec: 1Rx16 PC2-3200S-333-12

What the heck can I use that for?
Is it a good CPU, would it be worth buying an old Laptop and putting the Sempron in it?

As all ways, loads of questions!

07/31/2006 04:10 PM

Author Icon
Greyhound

quote:

Originally posted by: Unknown It also came with some tiny ram!
Spec: 1Rx16 PC2-3200S-333-12

What the heck can I use that for?

This is a 200-pin PC2-3200 DDR2 SO-DIMM, 3-3-3-12 timings.
SO-DIMMs (SmallOutline DIMM) are memory modules used exclusively in mobile computers, i.e. Laptops/Notebooks (as well as some miniature or embedded PC-systems).

Since this is a DDR2-part, it could be used in one of the newer Laptops featuring AMDs new Mobile Socket S1.
However, it's only DDR2-400 (the slowest DDR2-speedgrade, although latencies for this part are pretty decent for DDR2), so it'd probably be better to get rid of it as you get noticably better performance with DDR2-667 on AMD Socket S1 Laptops.
quote:

Originally posted by: Unknown Is it a good CPU, would it be worth buying an old Laptop and putting the Sempron in it?

First off, keep in mind that ALL Mobile Semprons are 754-pin parts unlike their desktop-cousins which are also available for the old Socket A (aka Socket 462) - as a consequence, you can't put it in a 'really old' Socket A Laptop (which you could probably pick up for relatively little $$.

Its not a bad processor at all, but being a rather new (90nm SOI revision E) part, you might face some problems trying to get it to work in an 'older' (i.e. 1st generation) Socket 754 Laptop.

The problem here is not that newer parts aren't compatible with older infrastructure, but the fact that Laptops are very proprietary things which means you are very dependent on the Laptop's manufacturer as far as BIOS-updates are concerned - unfortunately, most manufacturers don't release BIOS-updates very often and if and when they do release an update, it's usually to fix some bugs rather than to add support for newer processors

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

<center><font color=red>MODERATOR</center></font>

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 89W :: Asus M2N32SLI Deluxe :: 2x1024MB Muskin XP2-6400 DDR2-800 :: BeQuiet! Darkpower Pro 530W :: 2x WD Raptor 74GB/10k rpm, RAID 0 :: ATI Radeon X1950XTX
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information