Increase font size
Topic Title: Mobile Athlon 64
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/23/2006 06:54 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/23/2006 06:54 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
kirkpjk

I have heard that there are problems being encountered with this range of AMD processor in certain laptops where the system idles at a slower clock speed, but I have been unable to find out any real information as to whether this is true or not. I am considering different options at the moment before taking the leap and buying a new laptop. If anyone can shed any light on the matter it would be really appreciated.

I would really prefer an AMD based system but just need to put any concerns to bed.
 02/23/2006 08:49 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
miner

quote:

Originally posted by: Phil Kirk
I have heard that there are problems being encountered with this range of AMD processor in certain laptops where the system idles at a slower clock speed, but I have been unable to find out any real information as to whether this is true or not. I am considering different options at the moment before taking the leap and buying a new laptop. If anyone can shed any light on the matter it would be really appreciated.

I would really prefer an AMD based system but just need to put any concerns to bed.

The system idleing at lower clock speed is a feature(Cool n Quiet or CnQ) rather than a problem. It only becomes a problem when it is stuck at that speed all the time. When your laptop is idleing or doing some mundane work as surfing the web, word etc..the full power of the processor is not needed and in order to save power and extend the battery life the cpu runs at a lower speed and voltage. When the power is needed(when playing games) the clock speed will instantaneously increase depending on the load (heard that it can do this upto 30 times a second). So this way you get the benefits of good battery life and also the full power when needed.

Now the issue some people ae having is that due to some conflict the cpu is stuck at low speed all the time therefore hurting performance. In most cases this can be resolved by either changing the power schemesor by reinstalling the cpu driver. I have been using an A64 in my laptop for about a 1.5yrs and never had any issues with the functioning of CnQ. Only a few people of the many might have issues with them and they are the ones who tend to post in the forums trying to find a solution. I would say it is wide spread issue at all.

Oh, BTW Intel callsthe same feature as Speedstep.

-------------------------
HP Pavilion TX2500..AMD Turion X2 Ultra ZM-86, 3GB DDR2 800, 320GB 5400rpm SATA, ATi Radeon HD3200/M780G.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information