AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: What motherbaords support mobiles?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/24/2006 05:50 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/24/2006 05:50 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Ken B.

I know I'm probably repeating a question ad naseum here, but I've been out of the loop for 2 years. I currently have a Athlon XP mobile desktop setup (2Ghz) with the good old ABIT KG-7. However, I think the 266Mhz FSB is starting to show it weakness.

I'd like to stick with mobiles in a new system for their less power sucking, since I usually keep my computer up most of the day, and i basically just like the idea of being a little different. I also like the idea of going from my current 512kb cache to 1MB.

I have a few dilemmas, though. I'd like to have a dual proc board, if possible (please don't ask why - I'm just one of those crazy dudes who would try to surf the internet at dual 4Ghz, if I could, but money is an object). I may not use two procs at first (just one to start, pop in another later). If dual mobile proc NOT possible on a desktop (like maybe there is no such thing), that's ok.

The other problem is I've not been keeping up, so I'm entirely clueless on the Athlon 64 line after it debuted. I've looked at a few things today that piqued my interest. One was that someone claimed an Opteron 144 might be a good choice because it's fairly low power consumption, and can be overclocked pretty well. He also said it was dual channel (does that mean only server boards will support the dual channel?) memory.

One other issue: my current RAM. Even though most new chips start at 400Mhz FSB, is it still possible to use my old DRR266 RAM for a while until I can afford the 400Mhz? I have two sticks of Crucial 256MB, 266Mhz, CL2, 184 pin.

Any help on these questions is appreciated. Have a great day, guys.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information