Increase font size
Topic Title: Overclocking a Turion?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/25/2006 11:39 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/25/2006 11:39 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
camhello

Howdy. I'm new here, and new to computers in general (it's been about 7 years since I bought my last one...).

I'm trying to decide which computer to buy, and the main difference I see is the processor chips. I'm going to get a laptop, and I'm trying to decide between an AMD Turion and an Intel Pentium 4.

The main thing for me is processor speed and RAM b/c I'm going to be using the computer as a mobile audio studio. RAM is easy enough - the more the better.

I'm interested in the Turion b/c it's a 64 bit processor so I can upgrade it to the new Windows, which I can't do w/ the Pentium. I was told that a 1.8 Ghz AMD chip (ML-32) performs the same as a Pentium 3.0 or 3.2 Ghz chip. Is this true, and if so, how do I get it to perform that fast?

AMD is cheaper than Intel, so I'm definitely into getting the most computer for my buck.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanx!!!!!!

/biggrin.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='biggrin.gif' /> /biggrin.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='biggrin.gif' />
 01/25/2006 03:29 PM

Author Icon
bvchurch

Welcome to the forums.
First on choosing between a Pentium 4 and a Turion I would take the turion, now when it comes to the Pentium M and a Turion it is a tossup in my opinion. A turion can compete with a pentium M, even though its mhz rating is lower because the amd turion does more proceses per clock cycle. So you have to do nothing to get the turion to perform the same as a pentium 4 except just use the computer.

Also as far as Windows Vista goes, I have heard that their will be a 32 bit version of the OS (from Kim Komando) though I can not confirm this at all. The 64 bit version will of course perform the best. And if you are worried about upgradeability at this moment, as you should, then the Turion is probably the better bet, even over the Pentium M.
 01/27/2006 04:59 AM

Author Icon
miner

QUOTE(camhello @ Jan 25 2006, 08:39 AM)I'm interested in the Turion b/c it's a 64 bit processor so I can upgrade it to the new Windows, which I can't do w/ the Pentium.  I was told that a 1.8 Ghz AMD chip (ML-32) performs the same as a Pentium 3.0 or 3.2 Ghz chip.  Is this true, and if so, how do I get it to perform that fast? 

AMD is cheaper than Intel, so I'm definitely into getting the most computer for my buck. 

Any help is much appreciated.  Thanx!!!!!!
/biggrin.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='biggrin.gif' />  /biggrin.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='biggrin.gif' />
[right][snapback]604727[/snapback][/right]

As bvchurch mentioned you dont need to increase the clock speed of the Turion to perform at the same speed as the Pentium 4. The Turion(or any AMD based processor) is built to basically do more work per clock cycle. So a Turion even though it has a frequency of only 1.8GHz has the capability of working as fast as a 3 - 3.2GHz Pentium 4.

In eessence clock speed is not an accurate measure of performance any more when comparing processors based on different architechtures. There are a whole lot of factors which influence performance but basically ends up in the same explanation I gave above.

-------------------------
HP Pavilion TX2500..AMD Turion X2 Ultra ZM-86, 3GB DDR2 800, 320GB 5400rpm SATA, ATi Radeon HD3200/M780G.
 01/27/2006 06:58 AM

Author Icon
boule

QUOTE(bvchurch @ Jan 25 2006, 09:29 PM)Welcome to the forums. 
First on choosing between a Pentium 4 and a Turion I would take the turion, now when it comes to the Pentium M and a Turion it is a tossup in my opinion.    A turion can compete with a pentium M, even though its mhz rating is lower because the amd turion does more proceses per clock cycle.  So you have to do nothing to get the turion to perform the same as a pentium 4 except just use the computer. 

Also as far as Windows Vista goes, I have heard that their will be a 32 bit version of the OS (from Kim Komando) though I can not confirm this at all.  The 64 bit version will of course perform the best.  And if you are worried about upgradeability at this moment, as you should, then the Turion is probably the better bet, even over the Pentium M.

There WILL be a 32-bit Vista... Can you imaging M$ giving up all those paying customers that don't have 64-bit yet ? Most of Intels and a good deal of AMD owner's, and simply put, the majority of PC owners

-------------------------
Desktop:
AMD Athlon XP 2800+ (Barton) @ 200x10.5=2100MHz | Asus A7N8X Deluxe | Corsair 2xCMX512-3200C2PT @ 2.5-3-3-8 | MSI GeForce FX 5600 128MB | Hitachi Deskstar T7K250 160GB SATA II | Antec NeoPower 480W | Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Fatal1ty

Laptop:
Dell Latitude 120L | Intel Pentium M 740 | OCZ 2x1GB PC2-5400 | Western Digital Scorpio WD1200VE 120GB
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information