Increase font size
Topic Title: Turion TL50 speed on portable/laptop scheme
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/08/2007 03:02 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/08/2007 03:02 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
mephiska

I've got a weird problem with my HP dv6000z notebook with the Turion X2 TL50. When I have the power scheme set to portable/laptop and run on battery power, the cpu speed pegs to 1600mhz for both cores, and my power savings goes down the drain. When I plug the notebook in, the cpu speed varies like normal.

If I change the power scheme to a different one such as minimal power management, then the CPU speed fluctuates properly with cpu usage.

When I have the laptop plugged in and set to the portable/laptop profile the cpu speed will change dynamically. Only when it is on battery power with this power scheme will it run the cpu at max speed all the time.

Anyone know how I can fix this? I've tried removing and reinstalling the drivers for the cpu, but to no avail. I'm guessing something got screwed up in my registry somewhere.
 02/08/2007 03:23 PM

Author Icon
aggiebroz

I'm not sure what you could do since you already reinstalled the amd drivers. have you checked the cpu usage while on battery to make sure its normal.

but if you can't live with using a power scheme that works correctly on battery, i would suggest using a program called rmclock that replaces windows power management. just read through the documents that download with it and you should be able to figure out how to set it up. a bonus of rmclock is that if you take the time to do it you can undervolt you cpu making run cooler and consume less power.
 02/08/2007 03:54 PM

Author Icon
mephiska

quote:

Originally posted by: aggiebroz
I'm not sure what you could do since you already reinstalled the amd drivers. have you checked the cpu usage while on battery to make sure its normal.

but if you can't live with using a power scheme that works correctly on battery, i would suggest using a program called rmclock that replaces windows power management. just read through the documents that download with it and you should be able to figure out how to set it up. a bonus of rmclock is that if you take the time to do it you can undervolt you cpu making run cooler and consume less power.

Thanks for the reply.

CPU usage is normal, with no programs running it still clocks the CPU at full speed when running on battery.

I've used RMclock before on another amd laptop and tried playing with the power settings. It was a bit unstable for me though, but if I have to go back to using it I will. I know an OS reinstall would fix this, but I just got this laptop last week and really don't want to have to do that just to fix this.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information