AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Turion 64 X2 TL56 (In a compaq V3030CA)
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/22/2007 04:37 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/22/2007 04:37 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
SWiTCHRiDE

heres a question.

does anybody own a compaq V3030CA or similar with a turion TL56? How is the noise level. im not talking about the fan but what seems like the processor. it seems like it is always emitting a high pitched whine coupled with a very soft grinding sound. is this normal? i dont think so, but if its this noisy by nature im going to have to deal with it.

second question,
what is compaqs policy about returns. im not very happy with this lappy (mostly the noise) and i want to return it to recieve either credit or my money back. is there a way to do this? it is outside of the sellers 30 day money back but still inside the compaqs 1 year warrenty.

thanks for any help

steven.
 01/22/2007 06:08 PM

Author Icon
vsingh
Voodoo Programmer

I don't have this laptop. But, the soft grinding sound is coming from the fan thats on top of your processor. The processor is just a piece of silicon in your laptop, it doesn't include the fan.

I would replace it with warranty if I were you.
 01/23/2007 02:06 PM

Author Icon
SWiTCHRiDE

see origanally thats what i thought it was the fan, but its the wierdest thing. lets say i have a browser open, and it is very long. when im stationary i hear this grinding, but when i mouse wheel down the grinding stops then returns when i stop scrolling. also when i use power setting such as ""always on" it gets out of control. still the fan???

thanks steven.
 01/24/2007 07:01 PM

Author Icon
miner

It seems to more of a power management issue rather than being specific to the Turion. Many other people even with Intels seem to be having the same sort of high pitched noise...
http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=85477

-------------------------
HP Pavilion TX2500..AMD Turion X2 Ultra ZM-86, 3GB DDR2 800, 320GB 5400rpm SATA, ATi Radeon HD3200/M780G.
 01/25/2007 08:27 PM

Author Icon
SWiTCHRiDE

THANK YOU!

finally, i know that this is more then just my machine it is a problem rampant of compaqs. i have sent an email to compaq and hopefully if they cannot resolve (they cant....) they will refund my money.
 01/25/2007 09:14 PM

Author Icon
miner

quote:

Originally posted by: SWiTCHRiDE
THANK YOU!

finally, i know that this is more then just my machine it is a problem rampant of compaqs. i have sent an email to compaq and hopefully if they cannot resolve (they cant....) they will refund my money.

Good luck but this high pitch problem seems to be affecting a lot of brands.
http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=83622
http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=70297
http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=91717
http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=91717
If you go through those threads all of them seem to have a common high pitch buzz emnating from beneath the keyboard/laptop. Dont know whats the root cause but many people have been able to find a work around by disabling the USB port sleep option in device manager or by using RM clock & running the HLT command. I would try that before contacting support.

HP Pavilion TX2500..AMD Turion X2 Ultra ZM-86, 3GB DDR2 800, 320GB 5400rpm SATA, ATi Radeon HD3200/M780G.
 01/26/2007 04:02 PM

Author Icon
SWiTCHRiDE

hey miner,

you show specs for owning a v3000. did/do you have this problem? and well im going to try to return this thing. so far support has been crappy, i emailed a rather long email describing the situation, and CLEARLY i got an automated response email. It say something about "here is how to stop your computer from overheating" and some cookie cutter solution. anyways, i will post the aftermath of HP/Compaq support and customer care.
 01/27/2007 09:16 AM

Author Icon
miner

quote:

Originally posted by: SWiTCHRiDE
hey miner,

you show specs for owning a v3000. did/do you have this problem? and well im going to try to return this thing. so far support has been crappy, i emailed a rather long email describing the situation, and CLEARLY i got an automated response email. It say something about "here is how to stop your computer from overheating" and some cookie cutter solution. anyways, i will post the aftermath of HP/Compaq support and customer care.

I own two V3000z's, the Turion X2 based one has the noise although it is not too loud & I only hear it if I let the processor run at full speed. On the other hand the Sempron based one is totally silent.

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information