AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Would these be the right CPUs?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/23/2007 07:03 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/23/2007 07:03 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
YoungBob

Hi to all,

I'm new to this forum. I am in need of a little help to make sure I'm on the right path...

Last august, I bought a Compaq Presario Laptop. Model is F565CA and it is running Vista Home Premium. It is a very nice machine, for the price, but it is quite slow. I've already ordered 2 X 1 GB memory modules. That should help a bit.

I would like to try and install a faster CPU. For the past few weeks, I've read quite a bit. As a result, I'm a bit lost...

Right now, the CPU is a Sempron 3500+. From the manual, it would be possible to replace it with the following: TL-50, TL-52, TL-56, TL58, MK-36, MK-38. I believe other CPU could also work. They are: TL-60, TL-64, TL-66, tl-68. Can someone confirm this? I'm afraid I do not have a perfect grasp of the technology used now (Front Side Bus, voltage, HT and TDP)...

So my question has two parts: First, would any of these CPU be a good replacement? Second, what about heat dissipation - would these new CPU run hotter?

Thank you in advance.

Note: The system board is made by Quanta (model is: 30D3). It's Socket 1 (638 pins)...
 12/24/2007 11:56 AM

Author Icon
miner

Any of those Turion X2's should work. But I would skip on the TL68 or the TL66 considering they usually do not offer the best bang for the buck and the BIOS might not support the newest 65nm based cpu's. The TL50/52 will be slower than the Sempron 3500+in single threaded apps but being dual core will do better in multithreaded apps. So, skip on those as well. This will narrow down your choices to the TL-56,TL-58 or the TL-60. The TL-58 would probably be the best in terms of performance and price. It will be faster than the 3500+ in single threaded apps and being dual core will offer better multitasking.

As for as heat dissipation is concerned it should be OK, but it will run hotter than your single core Sempron since the TX2's have a TDP of 31W - 35W which is higher than the mobile Semprons(25W).

-------------------------
HP Pavilion TX2500..AMD Turion X2 Ultra ZM-86, 3GB DDR2 800, 320GB 5400rpm SATA, ATi Radeon HD3200/M780G.
 12/27/2007 11:40 AM

Author Icon
YoungBob

Hey Miner,

Thank you for answering my post. I thought it would get lost since the website seem to have experienced some "Christmas problems" these last few days!

You have given me some very good advice. I'll try and locate the TL-58. I've seen a few on Ebay. The prices I've seen are not all that bad.

One last thing: You mention "multithreaded apps". I'm not familiar with the expression. Could you explain what they are and/or maybe give a few examples of applications that are and others that are not.

Thank you you. Hope you are having a great holiday season.
 12/29/2007 09:25 AM

Author Icon
miner

Multithreaded would basically refer to programs capable of making the best use of both cores in a dual core processor. For example some of the newer games(crysis), some adobe programs are capable of using both cores. Vista for example is designed to handle multicores better than XP. You will notice benefits even if a programs is not capable of using both cores. Since even if one core is made use of by a process, the second core can handle other applications. Ofcourse both Xp and Vista are capable of handling this automatically.

-------------------------
HP Pavilion TX2500..AMD Turion X2 Ultra ZM-86, 3GB DDR2 800, 320GB 5400rpm SATA, ATi Radeon HD3200/M780G.
 01/01/2008 12:44 AM

Author Icon
YoungBob

Thank you Miner,

You have been a big help. I wish you all the best for 2008.

Bye.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information