Increase font size
Topic Title: 1200 tbird temp
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/04/2004 10:54 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/04/2004 10:54 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Glycem

Hello, I recently installed an app called motherboard monitor. I also always leave my pc running 24/7. With out any load it is showing my cpu temp at 68c & my case at 39c. I would like to get the cpu temp lower. I do not have the original fan/hs installed because it died awhile back. I do not know what brand of fan/hs is in it now. After doing some surfing it looks like a good replacement fan/hs would be from a company called Thermaltake. I have found a fan/hs at this site... http://www.tigerdirect.com/app...s/se...4&sku=T925-1070' ">http://www.tigerdirect.com/app...o=184424&sku=T925-1070 that looks like would be quite, but I would like to know before I buy it if you all think it will help get my temp lowered or If you have any other suggestions, I would like to hear them. I also cleaned the case out, but didn't help any.
Thank You.
 03/05/2004 01:20 AM

Author Icon
Greyhound

The TT SilentBoost is a pretty nice HSF(Heatsink&Fan) - make sure you're using some good thermal compound like Arctic Silver 5 or Arctic Silver Ceramique, too.

Also, if you don't have any case-ventilation, i would strongly recommend you get a case-fan or two...the best Heatsink&Fan will be pretty useless if temperatures inside your case are too high.

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

<center><font color=red>MODERATOR</center></font>

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 89W :: Asus M2N32SLI Deluxe :: 2x1024MB Muskin XP2-6400 DDR2-800 :: BeQuiet! Darkpower Pro 530W :: 2x WD Raptor 74GB/10k rpm, RAID 0 :: ATI Radeon X1950XTX
 03/05/2004 01:47 AM

Author Icon
Glycem

Sounds good, infact I was looking at that arctic silver 5 earlier, so am glad I was on right track.
I have a friend that did some cutting work on his case, do you think if I had him cut out a section in the middle of case side panel and put a fan there that would be sufficient for xtra case cooling? If so, what size fan would you recommend? Right now there are 3 fans in case, 1 in front, 1 for cpu and a small one on motherboard. Case size is 7.5" w x 16"h x 18.5" deep. Also, as I stated in earlier post, motherboard monitor reports case temp is at 39c, what should a good temp be for the case?

Thank You for your response.
 03/05/2004 01:57 AM

Author Icon
Greyhound

Generally, it is recommended to have one fan in your cases' front blowing cool air into the case and another fan in the back which blows hot air out of your case - most people use 80mm-fans, but if your case can accomodate a bigger fan you will get even more airflow which is always a good thing

QUOTE Also, as I stated in earlier post, motherboard monitor reports case temp is at 39c, what should a good temp be for the case?
Around 30°C should be OK, i think.

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

<center><font color=red>MODERATOR</center></font>

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 89W :: Asus M2N32SLI Deluxe :: 2x1024MB Muskin XP2-6400 DDR2-800 :: BeQuiet! Darkpower Pro 530W :: 2x WD Raptor 74GB/10k rpm, RAID 0 :: ATI Radeon X1950XTX
 03/05/2004 01:21 PM

Author Icon
Glycem

Just an update, I added a 80mm fan to the rear of my case and now my temps are cpu 53c and case 33c. I still think I'm gonna add a fan to side of case and add that hsf I mentioned earlier to get it even lower. I'm probably getting alittle fanatical bout this, but I figure if I'm gonna continue to run pc 24/7 I might as well get the lowest temp I can.

Thank You again for your comments Greyhound
 03/13/2004 03:44 PM

Author Icon
Glycem

Ok, just wanted to post my results. I have now added a fan to the side of the case and have also installed that hsf I mentioned earlier using the arctic sliver 5. My new temps after running for 5hrs under heavy load is cpu 48c and case 31c. I'd also like to mention, in case anyone else is curious about this hsf, It is very quite, I cant even hear it with the side panel on. Also, the case fan I installed in the side of case was the Vantec Thermoflow 92x92x25mm. It is also very quite.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information