Increase font size
Topic Title: upgrading processor chip
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/13/2004 04:23 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/13/2004 04:23 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
percythomas

I have at least 4 major probs.

(1) I acquired an AMD K-6 and I am having all kinds of problems with the system getting online. When I boot up it seems to be booting two seperate system bios. One is Award Modular Bios v4.51pg w/ bios extension and the other is VooDoo 3 bios 2000. Anyone figure this out?
(2)I get a message that reads:
Cannot find a device file that may be needed to run Windows or a Windows application.
The Windows registry or SYS.INI file refers to this device file, but the decive file no longer exists.
If you deleted this file on purpose try installing the associated application using its uninstall or setup program.
If you still want to use the application associated with this device file try uninstaling that application to replace the missing file.
z:vvinesd.386.
(3) My cpu is reading 233mhz processor. Is upgrading as easy as pulling a 486 chip from my other computer (which doesn't work for other reasons), and pulling the 233 chip from this cpu and switching them?

(4) My system used to be part of a LAN and was donated to me because I am terminally ill and homebound much of the time. It's major purpose is to help me keep up with research on my disease and to keep in contact with other people in my support groups, but I cannot get the computer online. I have tried loading an AOL trial cd and after going through all the steps I still get nothing but a loop that keeps telling me to restart the computer, but it just gets back to the "restart your comp. now screen".
 03/14/2004 05:35 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Greyhound

QUOTE (1) I acquired an AMD K-6 and I am having all kinds of problems with the system getting online. When I boot up it seems to be booting two seperate system bios. One is Award Modular Bios v4.51pg w/ bios extension and the other is VooDoo 3 bios 2000. Anyone figure this out?
The Voodoo-thing is your videocards' BIOS which loads before the system-BIOS - this is perfectly normal(if your videocard wouldn't boot first you wouldn't be able to see anything when your system POSTs/boots ).
QUOTE (2)I get a message that reads:
Cannot find a device file that may be needed to run Windows or a Windows application.
The Windows registry or SYS.INI file refers to this device file, but the decive file no longer exists.
If you deleted this file on purpose try installing the associated application using its uninstall or setup program.
If you still want to use the application associated with this device file try uninstaling that application to replace the missing file.
z:vvinesd.386.
This refers to a network protocol(Banyan VINES) having been removed while the key is still present within the window$-registry for some reason.
More info here' ">http://support.microsoft.com/d...x?scid=kb;en-us;194845.
QUOTE (3) My cpu is reading 233mhz processor. Is upgrading as easy as pulling a 486 chip from my other computer (which doesn't work for other reasons), and pulling the 233 chip from this cpu and switching them?
You can't interchange a 486 with an AMD K6 CPU - apart from a number of other things, they are mechanically(different Sockets) and electrically(different CPU-voltage) incompatible.

As for upgrading to a faster K6 or K6-2/3 CPU, it depends on your motherboard/chipset what CPUs you will be able to upgrade to.
The fastest CPU you could use on your 486-motherboard would most likely be an AMD 5x86 133MHz(the fastest 486-class CPU ever made).

QUOTE (4) My system used to be part of a LAN and was donated to me because I am terminally ill and homebound much of the time. It's major purpose is to help me keep up with research on my disease and to keep in contact with other people in my support groups, but I cannot get the computer online. I have tried loading an AOL trial cd and after going through all the steps I still get nothing but a loop that keeps telling me to restart the computer, but it just gets back to the "restart your comp. now screen".
You will need to post more info on this one...
What type of connection are you using? Dialup/DSL/Cable? Are you using a router?

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

<center><font color=red>MODERATOR</center></font>

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 89W :: Asus M2N32SLI Deluxe :: 2x1024MB Muskin XP2-6400 DDR2-800 :: BeQuiet! Darkpower Pro 530W :: 2x WD Raptor 74GB/10k rpm, RAID 0 :: ATI Radeon X1950XTX
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information