Increase font size
Topic Title: Upgrade from Duron
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/19/2004 03:37 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/19/2004 03:37 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Huntean

Currently running a Duron 900 and thinking about a simple upgrade i.e. just swopping out the CPU.

MOBO is ECS K7SEM v1.0 with SIS chipset
Runs SDRAM at 133 MHz
Running Windows XP

What is the highest spec AMD CPU that will run on this MOBO and where is the best place to buy one?

Appreciate also any tips on installation and whether this change is worth doing?

Thanks
 01/19/2004 04:44 PM

Author Icon
MD - Moderator
Deployer of Mjölnir - House Keeping

www.ecsusa.com
K7SEM' ">http://www.ecsusa.com/products/k7sem.html

Since the ECS website is VAGUE it says the following:
Full series of Athlon/Duron CPU including the future Athlon processors

And going off of the release note for the latest BIOS:
Award® BIOS.
1. Update AMD Athlon XP CPU support

With the following bios; 1.2b 02/14/03, I would guess that the fastes CPU you could use would be the AXP2600+ 266FSB version CPU...

To run the faster CPU's you may have to update your motherboards bios.

The AXP2600+ is kinda hard to find in some instances, the AXP2400+ is easier to find

I bought my Athlon on ebay...but there are many other places such as; Newegg.com

Try these guys, they have a lot of good stuff and won't screw you over.

Type [Athlon XP' ">http://www.newegg.com/app/View...rtycodevalue=4159,3928

I have the ECS K7S5A board and it is quite similar to your board, it can handle up to an AXP2600+

Later

MD

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Physics? Ha! This is clearly magic and devilry at work. Prepare firewood! We have witches to burn!

01/19/2004 05:37 PM

Author Icon
Huntean

MD,

Thanks for your fast response. I have recently updated the BIOS to version 1.2b so should be OK there. Is replacing the CPU with the Athlon 2400+ going to make a significant imapct on performance? Right now it is slow on some games. I have a Nvidia Geforce 64Mb video card and 512Mb of RAM.

Thanks

01/19/2004 06:27 PM

Author Icon
MD - Moderator

I went from a Duron 950 to an AXP 2200+..kick in the pants improvement..you bet...

The real limits on your board now and the SDRAM, it is non-DDR I believe... And it has built in ASP right?

Built in AGP also limits how fast your games are, any chance of disabling the on board AGP and picking up a cheaper ATI or Nvidia based AGP card?

Also if you do not use your; IrDa header, serial/parallel ports, and the AMR slot you could disable them in the bios to free up system resources.

For some more info on your motherboard, try this forum out, it is for K7S5A boards but they have a forum for other ECS boards...

K7S5A motherboard forum' ">http://pub140.ezboard.com/bk7s5amotherboardforum

Later

MD

MD

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Physics? Ha! This is clearly magic and devilry at work. Prepare firewood! We have witches to burn!

01/20/2004 09:29 AM

Author Icon
Huntean

Ihave a Nvidia GeForce AGP card so fine there. I assume this automatically disables the on-board AGP.

The MOBO manual does not mention DDR so assume it does not have it. Supports 133Mz FSB, so will it still run a the XP 2600+ at 266Mz?

What is built in ASP? Also can I just swop out the CPU without re-installing the OS (Windows XP)?

Thanks
 01/20/2004 01:48 PM

Author Icon
MD - Moderator

QUOTE Ihave a Nvidia GeForce AGP card so fine there. I assume this automatically disables the on-board AGP.

Yeah big duh on my part I missed that part about your other video card

You could check your hardware manager in your OS to see if the onboard video is disabled. If it isn't you will need to disable it in the bios.

QUOTE Supports 133Mz FSB, so will it still run a the XP 2600+ at 266Mz?

Yep it will run at 266, 266 is from 2x133 Mhz.

QUOTE What is built in ASP? Also can I just swop out the CPU without re-installing the OS (Windows XP)?

ASP, I forget right now what that stands for. Yes you can just swap out the CPU, just remeber to use a heatsink that is approved for the new cpu and some kind of thermal interface material between the cpu and the heatsink, if you didn't know that already. The Duron fan may not work with the new CPU as was the case with my old Duron heatsink..it was a cheezy 50mm unit.

Later

MD

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information