Increase font size
Topic Title: Athlon Thunderbird compatability
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06/21/2004 12:13 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/21/2004 12:13 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
stars1234

My CPU is an Athlon Thunderbird 1.2 gig.

It's time to get a new mobo.

I'm seeing motherboards for AthlonXP, Duron; but no mention of the Athlon Thunderbird (in fact I've never seen a mobo that mentioned "thunderbird," they only say Athlon or Duron).

I would like to use my Thunderbird in the new mobo (unsure yet what mobo I will be getting), if possible.

In looking at specs of the XP processors, they look like they are using the same voltage, but success will depend on the FSB speed that thunderbird CPU can take.

I think mine needs a 200 FSB, but am not sure. If I put it in a mobo that has any higher FSB, it will burn out the CPU?

My quesiton is will my Athlon work in the mobos that specify AthlonXP, AthlonMP, Duron or is it really, that I need to see if I can get the FSB down to work with my 1.2 gig Athlon?

Thanks,
Bob
 06/21/2004 01:23 AM

Author Icon
Greyhound

'Thunderbird' is a codename for the AMD Athlon, model 4 which is usually just referred to as 'Athlon'.
ALL modern motherboards should be able to support an Athlon 'Thunderbird' - most boards will set the FSB to 100/200MHz by default, so there is no need to worry
QUOTE I think mine needs a 200 FSB, but am not sure. If I put it in a mobo that has any higher FSB, it will burn out the CPU?
Using a higher FSB would either overclock the processor, which could cause damage, or the system would just not POST(no harm done to the CPU).
But like i said above, all modern motherboards still have an option to set the FSB to the 100/200MHz that your Athlon needs - most motherboards have a jumper for that...make sure it's set to '100MHz'(that's usually the default setting).

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

<center><font color=red>MODERATOR</center></font>

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 89W :: Asus M2N32SLI Deluxe :: 2x1024MB Muskin XP2-6400 DDR2-800 :: BeQuiet! Darkpower Pro 530W :: 2x WD Raptor 74GB/10k rpm, RAID 0 :: ATI Radeon X1950XTX
 06/26/2004 04:27 PM

Author Icon
bisonator

all modern Socket A motherboards should supprt the Athlon, if it supports Athlon XP the chances are that it does Athlon.
 07/19/2004 03:25 PM

Author Icon
eddaweaver

Also, Stars, if your current Athlon Thunderbird is for 100MHz front side bus, you can unlock it with the pencil trick, then lower the clock multiplier and run it on 133MHz front side bus with your new motherboard. That's another 33/66MHz of ram bandwidth!
 07/31/2004 03:07 PM

Author Icon
ninjaryder1st

Hi Bob, one other option for choosing a mobo is to get a mobo processor combination.. that way you are guarenteed compatibility, and combos are sometimes cheaper together than a mobo or processor separate...

I too have a 1.2 ghz athlon thunderbird (nice codename) that runs 200 mhz FSB that I think just died... I don't even get the beep code repsonse when i power up... my mobo is a soyo sy-k7vta pro that has voice diagnostics for troubleshooting.. it supports athlon/duron processors.. I am running 512 mb sd ram for now and it seems to be pretty speedy considering its 3 yrs old..

it says "my processor may not be installed properly or may be defective" on powerup.. so I assume my mobo is working fine if it can do that.

I'm trying to find a cheaper used replacement so i can keep my mobo but am not sure how to find a replacement CPU that will work, other than finding the same one which i can't find...

let me know what you decide to do, and if you upgrade to a new system, I'll buy your used thunderbird from you...
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information