Increase font size
Topic Title: Athlon Thunderbird 1.3GHz
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/07/2004 05:22 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/07/2004 05:22 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Athlon64Maniac

I have a pretty old computer with an Athlon Thunderbird 1.3GHz processor. I am sure its out of its warrenty. Do you think its worth overclocking it? If so, I am wondering how to do that because I am new to overlocking. I was looking at www.overclockersclub.com about it. Has anyone tried the pencil trick? If so, is it hard? Also, the multiplier may be locked, but is the FSB locked? If not, do they need to be in sync in some way?
 02/08/2004 04:29 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Greyhound

QUOTE Do you think its worth overclocking it?
Not really, IMHO...even if it is a decent stepping, it won't do more than around 1.4-1.5GHz on air - and i wouldn't recommend doing any OCing with the stock cooler(typically an aluminum Heatsink and 60mm-fan).
QUOTE Has anyone tried the pencil trick?
Yes
I did it on my old 1GHz T-Bird - OCed it to 1.2GHz(could've gone higher but i didn't feel like it)
QUOTE If so, is it hard?
No, it's pretty easy - if it doesn't work at first, just wipe the pencil-marks off and try again.
QUOTE Also, the multiplier may be locked, but is the FSB locked?
No, you can change the FSB without problems - if your motherboard and RAM can deal with a higher FSB.
Also, T-Birds don't seem to like FSB's over about 150MHz...atleast mine wouldn't run stable beyond 150MHz.
QUOTE If not, do they need to be in sync in some way?
No, you don't have to 'synch' FSB and multiplier, but do choose a reasonable multi...i.e. running a 133MHz FSB with a x14.0 multiplier is not a good idea on a T-bird.

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

<center><font color=red>MODERATOR</center></font>

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 89W :: Asus M2N32SLI Deluxe :: 2x1024MB Muskin XP2-6400 DDR2-800 :: BeQuiet! Darkpower Pro 530W :: 2x WD Raptor 74GB/10k rpm, RAID 0 :: ATI Radeon X1950XTX
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information