Increase font size
Topic Title: Slot A Model 1, 2, or 4 ?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/11/2004 10:38 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/11/2004 10:38 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
joeaviator

Hey all. I have a 750MHz Slot A T-bird (Model 4) installed in a Gigabyte GA-7IXE motherboard.

The system works so randomly, I can't even describe under what circumstances that it will actually fire up. When it doesn't, there are no beeps, and just a black screen, although you can hear the hard drive spinning up. When it does, everything works fantastic. I have tried different RAM and am on my 2nd brand new GA-7IXE, so it would seem that perhaps there is a problem with the CPU.

My questions are,
1. Where can I find more general information on the different Slot A models?
2. Should *any* of the models work with a Slot A motherboard?
3. (unrelated sort of) Which has better performance - a T-bird with 256k L2 cache, or a non-T-bird model 2 with 512k L2 cache?

Thanks a million in advance for all of your input. If it's not too much to ask, I'm not an Electrical Engineering major (hence the username lol), so I would really appreciate at least *some* plain english in any replies!! thanks again!

Justin
 02/12/2004 01:13 AM

Author Icon
Greyhound

QUOTE 1. Where can I find more general information on the different Slot A models?
You can find the Datasheet for the Slot A Athlons here' ">http://www.amd.com/us-en/asset...nd_tech_docs/21016.pdf
QUOTE 2. Should *any* of the models work with a Slot A motherboard?
Basically, yes...there were problems with running the faster(>800MHz, i think) Athlon T-Birds on motherboards with a VIA KX133-chipset, but they should all run just fine on an Irongate(AMD-750) motherboard.
Did you ever upgrade the CPU from a slower or non-T-Bird model?
Did you update your BIOS to the latest version?
Make sure you have set the correct Vcore(CPU-voltage) for your CPU(1.70V for the 750MHz T-Bird).
QUOTE 3. (unrelated sort of) Which has better performance - a T-bird with 256k L2 cache, or a non-T-bird model 2 with 512k L2 cache?
The T-Bird will perform better because it has on-die(i.e. integrated into the CPU-core) L2-cache which runs at full core-clock(750MHz in your case).
A non-T-bird has off-die cache(it's located on the PCB inside the cartridge, next to the actual CPU) which runs only at 40% of the core-clock on a 750MHz-part(i.e. 300MHz) - on the faster non-T-Bird models(900MHz and up) it runs only at 33% core-clock.

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

<center><font color=red>MODERATOR</center></font>

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 89W :: Asus M2N32SLI Deluxe :: 2x1024MB Muskin XP2-6400 DDR2-800 :: BeQuiet! Darkpower Pro 530W :: 2x WD Raptor 74GB/10k rpm, RAID 0 :: ATI Radeon X1950XTX
 02/12/2004 10:16 AM

Author Icon
joeaviator

Fantastic. Thanks for the great information Greyhound. Greatly appreciated. Now, I had already downloaded the Datasheet PDF the other day, and was looking at the OPN legend. Now, I'm looking for a replacement Athlon for my grandfather (he just wants it up and running, but I want it to scream ), and in doing so, I found a site that advertises Slot A T-birds with 512k L2 cache. Based on all the reading I have done, I am correct in saying that this isn't accurate, no? If there is such a beast, I think I would rather have 512k than 256k. Thanks again Greyhound. Always good to learn something new.

Justin
 02/13/2004 01:11 AM

Author Icon
Greyhound

QUOTE Based on all the reading I have done, I am correct in saying that this isn't accurate, no?
Yup. Any Slot A processor that has more than 256KB L2-cache is an old Athlon 'Classic', NOT a T-Bird.

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

<center><font color=red>MODERATOR</center></font>

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 89W :: Asus M2N32SLI Deluxe :: 2x1024MB Muskin XP2-6400 DDR2-800 :: BeQuiet! Darkpower Pro 530W :: 2x WD Raptor 74GB/10k rpm, RAID 0 :: ATI Radeon X1950XTX
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information