Increase font size
Topic Title: AMD Duron Processor
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/02/2003 06:49 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/02/2003 06:49 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
didesign

I am new to the AMD market and am looking at upgrading some very old comluters. I have seen some great deals on a 1.0Ghz Duron based bare bones system that will allow me to utilize the RAM and other peripherials that I currently own. My question is where the Duron falls in the family of AMD processors. I don't want to buy a "celeron" type CPU. Can anyone help me?
 11/04/2003 07:25 AM

Author Icon
action man

the duron fills the budget segment of the market for amd. it has less cache lower fsb and lower speeds. a 1.3GHz duron is about equivalent to a 1.7-1.8GHz celeron performance wise and much cheaper.
the duron is a fantastic cpu for thr price.. it isnt a "celeron type" at all. it shares the same basic architecture as the axp which means it has pretty good performance.

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?
 11/04/2003 07:32 PM

Author Icon
MadMarky

QUOTE (action man @ Nov 4 2003, 01:25 PM)the duron fills the budget segment of the market for amd. it has less cache lower fsb and lower speeds. a 1.3GHz duron is about equivalent to a 1.7-1.8GHz celeron performance wise and much cheaper.
the duron is a fantastic cpu for thr price.. it isnt a "celeron type" at all. it shares the same basic architecture as the axp which means it has pretty good performance.
And so does the Celeron with the P4.

I think Celerons and Durons are quite comparable:
- They both have a smaller cache than their 'big brothers'
- They use a lower fsb

But for really old computers, a Duron would be fine. You won't be able to transform them to fast machines anyway, even when you use AMD XP's.

AMD Athlon X2 4600+ @ 2.8Ghz
DFI Lanparty NF4 Ultra-D
2x 1GB G.Skill PC4000
XFX GeForce 7900GT
Antec TrueBlue 480w PSU
Thermaltake Xaser III case
 11/05/2003 05:21 AM

Author Icon
action man

QUOTE But for really old computers, a Duron would be fine. You won't be able to transform them to fast machines anyway, even when you use AMD XP's

what do you mean? are you saying that athlonxp is slow? or that you cant replace a duron with an xp? or am i missing some other meaning?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?
 11/05/2003 10:21 PM

Author Icon
MadMarky

QUOTE (action man @ Nov 5 2003, 11:21 AM)
what do you mean? are you saying that athlonxp is slow? or that you cant replace a duron with an xp? or am i missing some other meaning?
No i'm referring to didesign when he says the he doesn't want a 'celeron' kind of cpu.
He wants to use Durons to upgrade old systems, and my opinion is that he made the right choice. A 1Ghz Duron is quite slow, but even an AMD XP 2100 will be slow in an old motherboard with sdram memory, while it costs much more.

I hope this clarifies my statement a bit

AMD Athlon X2 4600+ @ 2.8Ghz
DFI Lanparty NF4 Ultra-D
2x 1GB G.Skill PC4000
XFX GeForce 7900GT
Antec TrueBlue 480w PSU
Thermaltake Xaser III case
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information