Increase font size
Topic Title: K5 and the Internet
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/19/2003 01:45 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/19/2003 01:45 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
mercury

My old email computer (P133) is giving problems.
A K5 PR166 on an FIC PA-2006 MB was just handed down to me. That makes AMD new to me.
Please suggest good options for optimizing this hand-me-down system for basic email and web-searching activities.
I see some K6 processors for sale at about $15 to $20.
Also see a K6 on an FIC PA-2013 MB on eBay currently at about $15.
My computer building and upgrading experience is about low to medium.
Your suggestions are appreciated.
Mercury
 10/22/2003 11:34 AM

Author Icon
action man

teh amd K5 didnt perform all that well if you can dig up some info on that mobo and find out what cpu it supports that would be useful.
what is the problem withthe old p133? maybe its something that can be fixed here

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?
 10/22/2003 12:11 PM

Author Icon
infiltrator
Linux Ninja

Lol, I had a K5 too - as an ISDN Dialer (someone through it away, I gave it a wash and it worked). The entire system was wet from being in the rain (only mobo, case processor and memory). The K5 was not so bad - I think it should do well for what you intend to do with it. The best would be to use Linux on it to get the best performance (if you're up to it). Otherwise Windows 98se should handle fine. As long as you only load the minimum on it.

Seeing if your motherboard can handle addon cache is a good idea as well, they lookes like a memory dimm, but had special slots.

Also, Action Man suggested, see if you can get the best CPU for that mobo. The more memory, the better - so see if you can get at least 128M of memory (obviously more is better - 64 can go too - but will be slower.)

I've also noticed that on the older machines the HDD's were what REALLY made it slow. Try to get a fast drive, even if it is only 500MB to a GB in size.

You can also search on the WWW for ways to tweak Windows 98 (you can kill so many processes and disable lots of things to make 98 work faster).

Hope this helps.

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
 10/22/2003 01:20 PM

Author Icon
action man

ive set up a k5 pr133 for a neighbour.. i got it free cos work was throwing it out.. and it wouldnt take win98se even with 128mb ram. win95 is rock solid on it though. she just uses it for web surfing and word... it took office2000 pro though
the only thing i will say is make sure you get a HARDWARE modem.. if you gety a software one the performance of the whole system will plummet!

Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?
 10/22/2003 03:20 PM

Author Icon
mercury

Will respond to a couple of inputs in this reply. And, thanks for all the good info.

The P133 system had a system crash - don't know if it was virus related or otherwise.
Have reinstalled the OS (WIN98), but can't get the machine to talk to the modem.
This has always been a bit tricky. A lengthy tech support session a few years ago
determined the COM ports were somehow IDed incorrectly - eg. COM 3 is actually
COM 2, or COM 1 is actually COM 4, something like that.
I made a big effort but just could not get them to talk.
So, I let it set awhile - then this K5 system showed up and seems to work well.
The FIC PA-2006 MoBo seems to be equipped with the good stuff. 512K C slot cache memory, etc.
One thing I noticed though. The voltage designation on the top side of the K5 PR166
chip is a "B" and it clearly states the voltage as 3.52V. The previous owner had
the jumpers set for 2.9V, which was correct given the indication in the printing
on the PA-2006 MoBo. Looks to me like this was just generic though, so
I repositioned the jumpers for 3.4V - 3.6V as per the users manual for the
PR166 chip.

Looking a the CPU possibilities for this MoBo (PA-2006) the K6 options are either
untested and/or require "hardware mods" whatever those would be. Intel chips up to
P233 will apparently fit, but the P233 specifically was not tested.

Thanks for the insight about WIN95 being "rock solid" and WIN 98 not working well.
I have been looking for an excuse to change the current WIN95 to WIN98. Almost succeeded
yesterday when I deleted the SYMANTEC folder. Not thinking there. Luckily, so far,
a trip through the REGISTRY to delete all vestiges of SYMANTEC has gotten the
system back among the living. I will be more careful now that WIN95 is the way
to go as long as the K5 is on board. Anyone else had any other experiences with the
OS differences using the K5. One difference, the system Action Man mentioned had a
PR133. This K5 is a PR166. Is what I have gleaned about the PR166 correct, that it
is more different, relative to the PR133, than just the clock speed increase.

Thanks a bunch to all,
I am soaking it up.
More, more
mercury
 10/22/2003 04:44 PM

Author Icon
action man

the techie was right about the modem and the com ports.. they can be a female dog to set up on older machines.. if i had your machine in front of me i could set it up but doing it over a forum is pretty much impossible.. for me anyway.. maybe one of the other guys here can help you there.
as far as i know the pr166 and pr133 versions of the K5 are the same apart from clockspeed.. someone correct me if im wrong please
if you can get a P200 or 233 in that board try and find one because that will be the best performance you will get from it
put as much ram as it can take and use a hardware modem.. i cant stress that enough!! if u use a software modem it relly will bog down your system horrendously when you are online

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information