Increase font size
Topic Title: cpu temperature spikes
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/13/2005 06:36 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/13/2005 06:36 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Sonar

Hi eveybody
I have an Athlon 1400MHz CPU in a ASUS A7A266 mobo. I run ASUS monitoring software which tells me that occasionally (maybe once every 2 days) the CPU experiences short term temperature spikes. For example, last night the CPU temp went from 63C to 112C for 2 seconds and then back to 63C. I have always assumed that these readings were software artifacts but recently some system instability has made me think again.
My question is "are these readings likely to be genuine and do they herald the onset of CPU failure?"
thanks
 10/13/2005 11:21 AM

Author Icon
eddaweaver

There is no way a CPU could cool that quickly nor survive the kind of voltage spike required to produce that kind of heat, so the 112°C temperature being reported is wrong.

Could you say what the specifications of the computer's power supply unit are and whether any of the capacitors (barrel shaped things) on the motherboard are bulging or leaking?
 10/13/2005 12:03 PM

Author Icon
Sonar

thanks for the relpy
I upgraded my power unit to a Jeantech 450W with a nice big fan a few days ago. I upgraded because the system was definately underpowered with my old 300W unit. I hoped the temperature spikes would go but no such luck. I also get maybe 2 voltage drop-outs per night (with the new PSU and the old one).
I have had a look at the capacitors and none seem to be bulging or cracked.
The reason i'm interested in all this is that sometimes on shutdown I hear high frequency beeps which is Award BIOS speak for CPU overtemperature.
cheers
 10/14/2005 05:09 AM

Author Icon
eddaweaver

It's possible the motherboard's CPU temperature sensor is simply faulty.

The wattage of the PSU is a limited indicator of the unit's potential; there are big variations of ability between different brands, and often the amps ratings are a better indicator of unit strength.

You could try clearing the CMOS and see if that stops the instability.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information