Increase font size
Topic Title: Need to replace a power supply
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/05/2005 08:03 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/05/2005 08:03 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
junk@pagosaconsulting.com

I'm helping a friend with an older AMD PC with a noisy fan in the power supply. I am pretty sure it's an ATX (20 pin) PS. I've been all over this site trying to find out if it needs an ATX12V or an ATXGES type supply. I have never encountered so many broken links on a tech support site. I hope AMD builds better processors than web sites.

Can anyone give me a URL that actually points to a page that tells me how to determine what type of PS I need?

Thanks,
Dan in Colorado
 01/05/2005 09:21 PM

Author Icon
MD - Moderator
Deployer of Mjölnir - House Keeping

Find out hwat motherboard he has, then look up the specs for the motherboard and what type of power supply it uses, if it's an ATX power supply then any off the shelf ATX power supply with the same or a bit higher capacity will work. Unless it is in some kind of proprietary computer ie ibm etc...

MD

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Physics? Ha! This is clearly magic and devilry at work. Prepare firewood! We have witches to burn!

01/05/2005 09:30 PM

Author Icon
junk@pagosaconsulting.com

QUOTE (MD Willington @ Jan 5 2005, 06:21 PM) Find out hwat motherboard he has, then look up the specs for the motherboard and what type of power supply it uses, if it's an ATX power supply then any off the shelf ATX power supply with the same or a bit higher capacity will work. Unless it is in some kind of proprietary computer ie ibm etc...

MD
Thanks, I suspected it was a generic power supply but I ran into a bunch of hocus-pocus on this site about which kind of PS to use and thought it would be prudent to ask. I have already found one for $35 at CDW that should fill the bill.

I do web development and can't belive the number of broken links on this site. Does anyone do quality control before publishing this gibberish? If I were researching an AMD processor with intentions of actually buying one, I would pass just because of the chaos on this site. It is a very poor reflection on their processes.

I do go to an unfamiliar product's support site just to see what kind of problems they are forced to admit fixing. For instance, I have bought Subaru's for years but have decided that the recent General Motors influence on them will send me to Toyota for my next car purchase.

Thanks for the info,
Dan in Colorado
 01/06/2005 12:33 PM

Author Icon
MD - Moderator
Deployer of Mjölnir - House Keeping

Been driving Toyota's for years, 78 Corolla with 347,000 Km on it, 90 2x4 pickup with 168,000Km...no complaints here, also have a subaru legacy that has 217,000 miles (~350,000 Km) on it...built like a Panzer...weighs more unloaded than my toyota truck fully loaded LOL...

Good Luck

MD

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Physics? Ha! This is clearly magic and devilry at work. Prepare firewood! We have witches to burn!

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information