Increase font size
Topic Title: computer startup
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/10/2006 12:56 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/10/2006 12:56 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
sdw

After installing a new msi ms-6167 motherboard with an amd 800 mhz processor, it will post, but will not boot or allow me to go to the bios setup. Message states "cmos-checksum error -defaults loaded. Would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks
 02/10/2006 01:10 PM

Author Icon
MD - Moderator
Deployer of Mjölnir - House Keeping

I'd try resetting the bios, there should be detailed instrucion on how to do this in the manual.

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Physics? Ha! This is clearly magic and devilry at work. Prepare firewood! We have witches to burn!

02/10/2006 10:09 PM

Author Icon
bvchurch

Or a quick way of doing what MD says is to just remove the battery from the motherboard, noting its original placement being which side is up, then after having it out for thirty seconds rebooting.

Also I would try booting with nothing but the processor, memory, video card, keyboard attached to the motherboard. No hard drives, floppies, cd drom drives attached yet.
 02/11/2006 04:16 PM

Author Icon
Suzueya

I have found that in some cases 30 seconds is not enough to insure that the bios is cleared. For that reason I usually give it 10 minutes; and make a point of shorting the battery positive terminal to the negative terminal briefly while the battery is out. One other thing worth noting, is that sometimes to get a board to come back to life, you have to use a PCI video card instead of an AGP card. Once it is working properly, you can switch back.
 02/11/2006 07:04 PM

Author Icon
tazwegion

I've had to recently reset the BIOS on my new acquisition (MSI-6378)... and interestingly enough (and relevant ) is I'd get the same frozen boot state & error message /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="<_<" border="0" alt="dry.gif" />

The cure was pulling the AC mains power & clearing the CMOS @ the same time, I've had to do this with HP P4's before too... my theory is the motherboard circuit is holding voltage long enough to maintain CMOS memory (even when battery removed)

-------------------------
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information