AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: .: Help with CPU Upgrade :.
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/12/2006 03:37 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/12/2006 03:37 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
seidz1

I have a 750MHz computer (yeah I know..go ahead laugh) and am looking to upgrade the AMD Duron 750MHz processor.

I was wondering, does the FSB number (100MHz) have to be the same in order for the new chip to be functional.

The new processors I'm looking at have the same Socket A(462) structure but different FSBs (133MHz and 333MHz). Would this change in FSB still be compatible?

Thanks a lot.
 02/12/2006 03:39 PM

Author Icon
MMB088

Just look up your mobo and see what is compatible for that.

-------------------------
Opie and Anthony on XM Satelite Radio!

Now also on FM stations in NYC, Boston, Philly, Pittsburgh, Washington DC, Rochester, Columbus OH, Cleveland, Detroit, West Palm Beach, Dallas, Chicago, San Fran and some other cities, their pretty much nationwide now, google it.

http://www.opieandanthony.com/

The Virus is spreading..... get infected
 02/12/2006 03:47 PM

Author Icon
EdG

quote:

Originally posted by: 1000GHz
I have a 750MHz computer (yeah I know..go ahead laugh) and am looking to upgrade the AMD Duron 750MHz processor.

I was wondering, does the FSB number (100MHz) have to be the same in order for the new chip to be functional.

The new processors I'm looking at have the same Socket A(462) structure but different FSBs (133MHz and 333MHz). Would this change in FSB still be compatible?

Thanks a lot.

That depends on your board and possibly it's BIOS, the easiest way would be to see what CPU's are supported by the board by looking it up on the manufactors site CPU support page, you may need to flash the bios to support faster CPUs.

02/16/2006 07:50 AM

Author Icon
tazwegion

Strangely it seems that newer processors ie. 333fsb will most often 'boot up' on the older motherboards... the problem lies therein that you're still limited to that boards MAX fsb and your new processor's multiplier...

For example...

An AMD Sempron 2400+ (10 x 166fsb = 1667Mhz)

Now alter the formula for the reduced MAX fsb...10 x 133fsb = 1330Mhz

It's better if at all possible to have a faster board & slower CPU (in these situations) than the other way around... as you can still OC a little

T'would be far more advantageous looking around for a *266fsb processor either Palomino OR Thoroughbred cores as they'd give you the highest clock rate for that particular motherboard

Oh yeah definitely go with the advice from the guy's above & checkout your motherboards supported CPU listing @ the manufacturers site

-------------------------
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information