Increase font size
Topic Title: PC-Chips M811LU
Topic Summary: Doesnt recognize floppy drive
Created On: 12/27/2008 11:00 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/27/2008 11:00 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Bruce2

I have a Pc-Chips M811LU ver 3.1 mobo with a duron 1.6 windows XP pro and it will not recognize the floppy drive, the green light will flash but thats it. I have it set in the bios for a floppy drive and that but to no avail. Ive had this running for a few years but never needed floppy till now and just now realized it didnt work.

Thanks in advance for any help.
 12/28/2008 08:52 AM

Author Icon
RBR
Case Modder

You might make sure your data cable is inserted correctly. As I remember, those cables could be connected backwards rather easily. Other than that, maybe the drive is just bad. Good luck.

-------------------------
 12/28/2008 05:24 PM

Author Icon
Bruce2

I tried 3 different floppy drives and have hooked the cable up every way i could think of, as i was aware of the cable thing, even tried a couple different cables.

Thanks
 02/12/2009 11:01 PM

Author Icon
tazwegion

I concur with RBR... the red striped side of the cable is supposed to point towards the power connector, inserting the ribbon & plug in the opposite polarity will make the FDD light come on and stays on during POST, also configure the BIOS/CMOS to seek the FDD & enable swap floppy disk drives (this will help it seek them despite them being on the primary OR secondary plug)

BTW I've had a motherboard overvolt and kill FDDs before (early pentium/K62 era) so it would be equally possible for a FDD onboard controller OR the drive itself to fail, did you check out the FDD on any other system?

-------------------------
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information