Increase font size
Topic Title: Assistance in upgrading a K7 processor
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/19/2009 06:12 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/19/2009 06:12 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Wipackerfan

I purchased a Gateway K7 Select 650 computer back in 2000. It came with an AMD Athlon 650 Mhz K7 (model 1) Slot A processor and a Jabil Kadoka motherboard. I purchased a 1 Ghz K75 (model 2) Slot A processor on ebay but when I installed it, my computer locks up when booting Windows XP. I checked Gateway's web site and it appears my BIOS is up to date. I also did the research and found the motherboard should support the processor. If my BIOS is not the issue, is it a device issue? Do I need to update the driver for the new processor? Any and all assistance would be greatly appreciated!
 01/20/2009 03:30 PM

Author Icon
go_for
Alpha Geek

Possible reasons:
-Weak or failing power supply
-Failing capacitors on the motherboard(any bulging or leaking)?
-Wrong Vcore for the CPU in question

The K7 1GHz run on 1.8V Vcore while the Slot A 650MHz uses 1.6V. Check if the motherboard has jumpers for vcore adjustment or in BIOS.
Newer boards adjust the vcore automatically according to CPU, not aware if this motherboard does it.

The CPU driver is included in WinXP.

-------------------------
 02/11/2009 10:34 PM

Author Icon
tazwegion

The third likely possibility is you were sold a 'dud' processor, unfortunately this does happen despite auction sites purported 'RULES'

Go with go_for's checklist first to eliminate other potential issues... a bad PSU and/or capacitors tend to be more of a common issue than people seem to realise

-------------------------
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information