AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: AMD64 fan replacement
Topic Summary: System won't boot after rellacing fan.
Created On: 03/05/2009 08:14 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
Answer This question was answered by age040, on Thursday, March 5, 2009 9:14 AM

Answer:
Hi,

thanks for the speedy reply - yes I did check the pin position ( basically it can only go on the right - the housing wouldn't let it anywhere else)

Finally found the problem after a few attempts and a small heart attack ( can't afford a replacement at this time )

There is a little lever on the Chip housing base - I had to release the lever house the chip and reapply the lever to its locked position.

Then the processor fired up.

Seems like a logical solution - but it threw me that it let me house the processor again without using the lever the first time ( and house it securely at that )

Ok - now I know.

Thanks again for the reply.
 03/05/2009 08:14 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
age040

Hi all
(sorry if this is in the wrong place)

I just replaced the fan on my AMD64 (K6 I believe) as one of the blades had sheared on th old fan (it was running - but making a heck of a noise)

The replacement fan had a 3 pin connector instead of the system 4 pin - but searching the forums told me this wouldn't be a problem,

I replaced the fan as per procedure - carefully , cleaning the gum off etc etc

Now when I switch o get the power up light, discs sound like they are starting up, but nothing else - not even a bios screen.
(I am however getting signal to the screen - I am not receiving the "NO SIGNAL" message impying that there is nothing at the other end)

So my question - have I done something disastrous or am I missing something ?

This is a work computer for me so I will have to replace it if I cannt get it to boot so any hep would be greatly appreciated.
( I am posting from my little ASUS - not quite up to the spec I need for my work)

Thanks in advance.
 03/05/2009 08:44 AM

Author Icon
geezer_wheelz
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum
Did you put new thermal paste on?

Could be that you do not have the CPU fan plug on the right end of the motherboard header so the motherboard is not detecting a fan & not starting to save you from burning your CPU
Try putting the fan plug on the other 3 pins and see if that makes a difference

Good luck

-------------------------
Asus M4A79 Deluxe, Phenom II 940 BE, 20,770 3D06

Asus Moderator ~ My CPU Overheating Guide
 03/05/2009 09:14 AM

Author Icon
age040

Answer Answer
Hi,

thanks for the speedy reply - yes I did check the pin position ( basically it can only go on the right - the housing wouldn't let it anywhere else)

Finally found the problem after a few attempts and a small heart attack ( can't afford a replacement at this time )

There is a little lever on the Chip housing base - I had to release the lever house the chip and reapply the lever to its locked position.

Then the processor fired up.

Seems like a logical solution - but it threw me that it let me house the processor again without using the lever the first time ( and house it securely at that )

Ok - now I know.

Thanks again for the reply.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information