AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: MSI MS 6195 (K7 Pro) post problems.
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/08/2004 12:12 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/08/2004 12:12 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
somethingbrite

Hi.
I have recently installed an AMD Athlon "classic" (slot A) 1000Mhz CPU in an MSI MS-6195 (K7 Pro) motherboard.
Both products are second hand but I have tested them with PC check and another couple of similar pieces of software and both the CPU and Motherboard checks seem fine. I have a few sticks of SDRAM both PC100 and PC133 which I have put through the same testing process and they too seem fine.

However, with CPU, motherboard SDRAM and a video card put together I get a couple of strange post symptoms.

Generally on initial power up (from cold) the system will not complete post. (and I seem to be getting an AMI BIOS error code of D9 reported by my PCI motherboard analyser)
However with a "soft" reset the second post is generally fine.
Subsequent posts, either ctrl/alt/delete from DOS, "soft" (reset button power cycling) or cycling mains power within a few minutes of power down also seem largely good.
There is however another strange error which occurs from time to time where the video card does not seem to initialise correctly and displays in monochrome.

I have flashed the BIOS to the latest version provided for this board by the manufacturer, which seems to have stabilised the whole post/not post thing quite a bit, previously post errors ocurred with greater frequency and required more resets to complete the post process.

I have noticed that the CMOS battery has a reported voltage of 2.67v which seems a little low to me, however I have not noticed any of the changes (very basic including time and date) to the BIOS setup being dumped through low battery voltage.

Any help or suggestions are of course much appreciated.

System as currently connected is 250A PSU (known good from Athlon T-Bird 800Mhz system which has also run a 1000Mhz Athlon T-Bird)
Slot A Athlon "Classic" 1000Mhz CPU with dual fan heatsink reported temp 37degC
MSI MS 6195 (K7 Pro) mainboard with latest BIOS (including 1000Mhz Athlon support) downloaded from MSI oficial site and successfuly flashed
VideoLogic Sonic Vortex sound card (PCI)
3dfx Voodoo5 5500 64mb AGP video card (two fans and requires power through the same kind of connector that powers the Hard Drive)
- However I substituted this card for a 32MB nvidia Geforce2 MX which has no fan at all and still had the same problems.
1x256 Kingston PC133 CL3 SDRAM
1x256 "Unknown/infineon" SDRAM (looks like PC133 CL3 from chip serial codes.)
1x128 Samsung PC133 CL unknown but likely to be CL3
All memory tested and known good from previous systems.
.Also, these post errors seem consistent regardless of which stick of SDRAM is present or indeed even if I substitute PC100 CL3 or PC100 CL2 SDRAM in their place.
Floppy, Hard drive (share same power.)
12xDVD/40xCD-Rom optical drive, 3 years old but working and video card share same power.
8cm system fan.

Looks like it was the motherboard.
Swapped it out for an older repaired MS-6167 with pretty much the same line up as before and all is fine.
Got rid of the voodoo5 becuase it started to consistently display ONLY in monichrome with the new board, but system running OK with OS intalled and set up with a GeForce2 GTS Pro 64Mb graphics card.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information