AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Full blown newbie, not a gamer, need help with ATI radeon xpress 200m
Topic Summary: Tried to install updated driver and no longer have access to ATI
Created On: 08/27/2011 03:25 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/27/2011 03:25 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
dancegypsy
Lurker

Hi. Thank you in advance for whatever help you can give me. I have an older computer and will have it until I write a best-seller, receive an unexpected inheritance, or that guy in Nigeria gets back to me with 50% of 20 million. I have to make do with what I have.

1. Original issue. The image was not centered on my widescreen monitor. I adjusted it from within the ATI software, but it was as far left as it would go and still wasn't completely on my screen. I never could figure out how to fix it. I finally chose to restore the factory defaults. Big mistake. Now I have an inch and a quarter of black bar along the left and the image is cut off on the right.

It was in trying to fix this, that I created my new, larger problem...

2. I clicked from within the Catalyst to see if there were new drivers for this card and chose the auto-detect and install. It said yes, there is a driver update for this old card. I downloaded the driver (approx 50MB, I think) and began installation. My virus scan program (forgot to close it) popped up and said this application had not passed Microsoft Windows Logo test, did I want to install it anyway. I clicked Okay.

Shortly thereafter, with nothing happening, I rebooted the system. Now, I have no ATI application whatsoever showing, not even when I right click the desktop.

Where do I go from here? The device manager shows the driver for my card as:
8.593.100.0 and dated 2/10/2010. The driver I was trying to download and install was dated July of 2011, so the installation obviously never took.

Do I roll back the driver, in the meantime?

Okay, here's what I have. Please don't laugh, or at least not in your reply. Thanks.
XP, home edition, ver 2002, Svc Pack 3
Celeron CPU 2.53GHz
896MB RAM
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information