AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Can the Gigabyte 7VT600P-RZ run a duron at 200FSB?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/10/2004 02:19 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/10/2004 02:19 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
janger

Anyone know. I was told it would. However gigabyte's website doesn't show support for 200 FSB durons.

Dave
 09/10/2004 03:05 AM

Author Icon
-Milt-

Dave,

That "200 FSB duron" is really a 100 MHz Duron, running at 200 DDR (or Double Data Rate)
It's because the Duron is able to read info or 'data' on BOTH the rising and falling edge of a pulse...

The fastest Duron produced is the Duron 1800 Applebred, with L2 of 64 KB, running at 13.5x133MHz = 1800MHz
In the terms you are using, you would call this a '266 FSB duron' (2x133 = 266)
I think that a more understandable teminology would be to call this one a 133/266 MHz/FSB processor.

And yes, virtually any Socket A mobo ever made can run any 100/200 Duron ever made.

The only 200/400 MHz/FSB processor made by AMD is the Barton 3200+ which runs at 11.0x 200MHz = 2200MHz

-------------------------
Here is my new PCChips M848A' ">http://img.photobucket.com/alb...2_T-2-3-3-6-2_M848.jpg v2.1, with a 1700+ @ 2411 MHz, and my trusty old PCChips M810L' ">http://members.lycos.co.uk/mmm...00MHz_Sandra_tests.jpg v7.1A, with a Barton 2500+ @ over 3500+. Some of my fancy cars are on this pag
 09/10/2004 04:06 AM

Author Icon
janger

Thanks Milt.
I sort of understand that. I was using the "200" because that's how gigabyte list it. Anyway, I was taking the dash next to the durons in the cpu support list as "no go", when I guess it means "who would waste their time testing a piece of crap"

It's funny how I used to think I could upgrade without a problem, until I spoke to the IT pros in my town

09/10/2004 01:02 PM

Author Icon
MD - Moderator
Deployer of Mjölnir - House Keeping

QUOTE (janger @ Sep 10 2004, 12:06 AM) Thanks Milt.
I sort of understand that. I was using the "200" because that's how gigabyte list it. Anyway, I was taking the dash next to the durons in the cpu support list as "no go", when I guess it means "who would waste their time testing a piece of crap"

It's funny how I used to think I could upgrade without a problem, until I spoke to the IT pros in my town
I believe the "-" at gigabytes website meand that they never tested that cpu with that board, your best bet is to see if the bios revision history for your board details whether or not the support for the specific cpu was added to the bios. Gigabyte is very good at keeping bios revision notes.

What motherboard exactly are you using Dave? Sometimes you can search the web for people that have the same board as you and they will say what cpu they have on the board, then you'll know if the cpu was compatible or not.

We run into it quite a bit with our K7S5A boards, since the original bios was only good for up to the Atlon 1.4 since that was the latest and greatest at the time the motherboard was manufactured.

Later

MD

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Physics? Ha! This is clearly magic and devilry at work. Prepare firewood! We have witches to burn!

09/10/2004 07:21 PM

Author Icon
janger

QUOTE (MD Willington @ Sep 10 2004, 09:02 AM)What motherboard exactly are you using Dave? Sometimes you can search the web for people that have the same board as you and they will say what cpu they have on the board, then you'll know if the cpu was compatible or not.

We run into it quite a bit with our K7S5A boards, since the original bios was only good for up to the Atlon 1.4 since that was the latest and greatest at the time the motherboard was manufactured.

Later

MD
My current board is an MSI K7T Pro 2-A. Too old and slow to keep. Only takes up to 1.2 Gig athlon, if I remember.

I think the 7VT600 will suit me fine. I'm not a full-on gamer or oc'er. Just want some more power for graphics/dvd burning etc. The main reason this one stands out is AMD recommend it as an athlon xp board.

Dave
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information