Increase font size
Topic Title: Won't even power up
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/12/2004 02:30 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/12/2004 02:30 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Marker0077

First of all, I've been building computers for at least 10 years now so I pretty much know my way around the hardware & software but I figured it couldn't hurt to give the forums a shot, so here I am...

The board is an EP-8KTA, the chip is a AUD Duron 900. I hooked up just the necessities which is the RAM, video card, processor, power, cooler fan power, & the power switch - won't fire up at all, the fan wouldn't turn even for a second. The RAM & video card were tested elsewhere so I know those work fine, the processor & board however I can not test considering I do not have any other chips or boards to do that kind of testing.

Now with most boards, there are 3 things that I need to set up for the processor...The mhz setting (50, 60, 66, 100, 166, etc; etc.).The multiplier for the mhz.The voltage.With this board however, there is only the voltage & the mhz setting, there's no multiplier which I'm not used to but I'm guessing that it is set along with the voltage. I've gone through the manual a few times on this & there is no multiplier listed there either.

So that's my dilemma, I can't get the board to power up & was curious if any of you out there in AMD land had any advice for me. Your time is appreciated either way, thanks.
 03/12/2004 03:57 PM

Author Icon
Overmind
Assimilator

The Multiplier will be autodetected. So will the core voltage.
You have the latest BIOS update right ?

-------------------------

World's best Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge mod and Star Trek: Starfleet Command 3 mod: Overmind.ro
 03/13/2004 11:16 AM

Author Icon
Marker0077

The thing won't even fire up man, how can I check it? That's why I am coming here because I can't get the thing to even power up.
 03/13/2004 01:13 PM

Author Icon
yada

Sounds like a problem I've got going. It is either the chip or the board or most likely both. Be very careful testing them with working parts as it seems that one fries the other. I've followed this effect through at least 6 boards and as many processors. I quetly gave up on AMD stuff last night and went to a PIII, was up and running in less than an hour with OS installed.
 03/14/2004 06:24 AM

Author Icon
Greyhound

Make sure your FSB('CPU External clock' is set to 100MHz both in BIOS and via jumper on your motherboard(refer to you manual for details - i.e. location and correct setting of the jumper...if there is one).

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

<center><font color=red>MODERATOR</center></font>

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 89W :: Asus M2N32SLI Deluxe :: 2x1024MB Muskin XP2-6400 DDR2-800 :: BeQuiet! Darkpower Pro 530W :: 2x WD Raptor 74GB/10k rpm, RAID 0 :: ATI Radeon X1950XTX
 03/28/2004 09:13 PM

Author Icon
somethingbrite

Clear CMOS. Either by CMOS clear jumper or physical removal of CMOS battery for 7 seconds. (its a good number, and lucky too.)

Ensure correct jumper settings for "autodetect" of FSB and voltage. On the 8KTA+ there is an option to disable autodetect and select from dip switch.

Test PSU yourself, or get it tested professionally by an electrician. Better to discover that a bad PSU has fried one board and CPU rather than let it kill any more. - though not good to discover a bad PSU any time.

Even with a totally corrupt BIOS I would expect the fans to at least spin up shortly, even if nothing else happened. However, you can contact Epox tech support and order a replacement BIOS eeprom and swap the whole chip out.

I have seen PCI motherboard analysers for sale on ebay and other places on the intyweb, I'm not sure how sophisticated they are, probably not very, but they arent expensive, maybe getting one of them may help.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information