Increase font size
Topic Title: City of Heroes MMORPG, Intel making AMD look bad
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/07/2004 05:49 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/07/2004 05:49 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Wildcat73

I'm a huge fan of AMD processors. Ever since I switched to them almost 8 years ago now, I haven't had reason to look back...except occasionally due to support for Intel chips where AMD support lagged behind.

Mostly, the support for AMD has been a case of Microsoft showing more compiler or instruction-set love for Intel than for AMD.

Recently, I started playing the City of Heroes online game. To my dismay, the game client appears to support hyperthreading Intel cpu's quite nicely. So much so that when one owns 2 game accounts, the game smoothly runs two instances of the game client on an Intel HT-enabled Pentium. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said of such support for AMD-enabled systems.

As confirmed with NC Soft tech support (the publishers of the game), Intel ht-enabled systems support 2-client-on-one-system gameplay. Since I'm a loyal owner of AMD CPU's and don't want to switch to an Intel CPU and motherboard, I'm currently out of luck. I really love my Athlon XP-2800+. If you have experience trying to get an Athlon to support multiple app balancing, equivalent to what Intel's hyperthreading offers, I'd be appreciative to hear your success stories.

Perhaps you've found registry changes, OS-specific patches (running Windows XP Professional SP2), or even 3rd-party utilities to show your AMD-enabled system that it too can do everything those pesky ht-Pentiums can do.

I think this would also be a nice chance for AMD Developer Support to reach out and lend a mysteriously helpful hand to an up and coming developer. So, I'm looking fw to hearing what folks have been able to do to make their AMD systems run dual instances of applications that ht-Pentiums support but that their AMD didn't initially balance or run together (whatever changes/fixes/apps you used to make it happen). I'd also look forward to reading in the near future that NC Soft got a helping hand from AMD Developer Support (or whichever appropriate AMD software services group) contacted them and helped them enable their game clients to better support all the folks with AMD's running their games.

AMD reps, feel free to contact me via e-mail for more details. I'll happily provide all sorts of extensive diagnostic information about the issue. It's pretty clearly an Intel vs. AMD support situation and NC Soft would be a great success story to show how well AMD processors can load balance and run multiple instances of applications with just a few tweaks and changes to code (I'd imagine AMD already has some SDK's waiting in the wings to help NC Soft and CoH's developer Cryptic make this happen).
 10/13/2004 06:06 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Charlie22911
Voodoo Programmer

well, i think someone will come along with a soft mod for that, they always do.

-------------------------
Desktop:
Phenom II x6 1055T @ 4GHz | 4x2GB Patriot DDR3 1600 @ 2000 | 3x AMD Radeon HD6970 Crossfire

Laptop:
Core i7 2960xm @ 4.2Ghz | 4x4GB Kingston DDR3 1866 | 2x GTX 580m SLI OC 725/1450/1500
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information