AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: I have a questions regarding drives..and k-6..
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/01/2004 12:16 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/01/2004 12:16 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
zootso

Hello ,

I am an avid computer gamer, and enjoy playing MMORPGs. I found out about a game called Ragnarok, and after reading the requirements for it, I ran into a problem I am having quite often now: 3D Cards.

I play mostly 2D games. Why? Becasue most 3D games I try to install and play on my computer simply do not work, or work so poorly that they are unplayable. I am running a Windows98se and as far as I know, it has probably the oldest 3D card out ( if it even has one ). I tried to find out what kind of video card my comp has, and here is what I found:

1. By right clicking on My Computer and readign system info, it says that I have an " Aunthetic AMD AMDK-6™ 3D Processor.

2. On the advertisement for the comp ( from some Wal-Mart paper ) it says that I have a AMD K6-2/450Mhz processor with 3D Now Technology, and up to 4MB SDRAM video memory for Integrated 3D Graphics.

Thats all I could find about what kind of card my comp has..So I'm guessing its some sort of AMDk6 Card right? After reading some of the FAQ on the Ragnaorok website, one of the suggestions for those of us with older cards was to " upgrade to newer drivers/ get the latest drivers " for our card...and now I'm a little bit confused.

I've heard abotu getting drivers and such, but never have I DLed any new drivers for ANYTHING on my comp. What do I do? What type of drivers should I DL? Basically, HELP!. Also, by DLing new drivers and whatnot, will this help improve my gaming expeince?( i.e. graphics and better images)

*It seemed that there weren't hardly as many post in this section as there were in others, so I really hope this doesn't get ignored and passed over!*

Thanks for any help with this, and sorry for so much text for you to read,
Zootso
 01/01/2004 05:42 AM

Author Icon
Minuteman

The graphic card has nothing to do with AMD, there is simply a graphic card soldered on your motherboard and yes, these graphic cards are CRAP. So if you want to play, consider buying a cheap graphic card (40$, that will be enough for your K6-2 450.

-------------------------
:: www.alphatek.info :: x86 CPU history and tech articles.

01/01/2004 06:38 PM

Author Icon
zootso

heh, ok thanks for helping me out. I'll look in to that.
 01/05/2004 12:13 AM

Author Icon
wcdeuv

QUOTE (zootso @ Jan 1 2004, 03:38 PM)I'll look in to that.
Hello,
Any small free cpu id program should tell you your video card. It's most likely an embedded chip on your mobo. Upgrade is easy and inexpensive if you go for slightly older tech. Try for a pci video card if you have no agp slot and disable onboard graphics in bios after upgrade. It is possable you can upgrade your video driver after id-ing it and getting more preformance. Here is a link for a free program which will give you your video card info by clicking on chipset info. Regards,

wcupid: http://www.pcworld.com/downloa...desc...id,22473,00.asp' ">http://www.pcworld.com/downloa...ion/0,fid,22473,00.asp

emachines333cs
AMD K6 2+@601.33
256ram 20.4g 7200 Caviar
AMI 2000 on delhi3
win98 ie6
Kingston 10/100
Mitsumi CD/RW 400w ATX
old tech? yes. Usable? absolutely
 01/05/2004 08:02 AM

Author Icon
infiltrator
Linux Ninja

The 3D on the CPU name string basically refers to a couple of instructions that were integrated into the CPU that an OS could use in order to increase 3D gaming performance. If you have a 2D card, you will find that these instructions will not help. The best thing to do is check what CPU and Grafix card is required and see if your CPU will handle it. Then get a 3D card that you can afford. Normally the cheaper GPU's (grafix cards) have less features than the more expensive ones.

Hope this helps and I hope you get to play Ragnarok!

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information