Increase font size
Topic Title: Strange system behaviour
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/06/2004 05:20 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/06/2004 05:20 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
finko

Hi,

I was wondering if you can help me.

I’ve got an AMD Athlon 1GHz CPU on a VIA KT133 (VT8363) motherboard.
For full system spec see at the end of message.

I have the system for more than 2 years now and had no major problems. Lately because I’ve installed and uninstalled many applications as a result of this the system started running a little slow. A few occasional illegal ops. Soooo I decided to backup my data and reinstall Windows.

The problem I have with the new installation is very strange. After reformatting the drive and re-installing Windows XP Pro the computer started behaving in a very strange way. When booted it works fine. All apps open quickly no freezes not much load on the CPU. After a couple of hours of operation the performance of the computer is highly affected. CPU load is increased to 100%. The computer runs extremely slow. I checked on the Task Manager and found that there isn’t just one particular process that takes up all CPU time. All the same processes that were running before just increase their CPU load.

If the computer is idle then there isn’t any high CPU demand. However if I run for example Windows Media Player or MS Word, or even open My Computer then each of these processes wmplayer.exe, winword.exe, or explorer.exe take up almost 100% of the CPU time. If I restart the computer everything works fine until the 1-2 hours expire. Then the same problem occurs again.

I have re-installed Windows XP 3 times, even tested the system without any software other than Windows installed but I still get the same behaviour.

The totally weird thing is that up until last week when I decided to reformat the system to improve its performance there weren’t any problems with CPU loads and increased CPU times. I didn’t open the case didn’t change the hardware.

Can anyone help me on this as I’m running out of options? I have also tested the system for viruses, spyware, etc. Nothing found.

Please help.

System configuration:
OS Name: Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version: 5.1.2600 Build 2600
System Manufacturer: VIA Technologies, Inc.
System Model: KT133 (VT8363)
System Type: X86-based PC
Processor: x86 Family 6 Model 4 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD ~1000 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date: Award Software International, Inc. 6.00 PG, 25/08/2000
SMBIOS Version: 2.3
Total Physical Memory: 768.00 MB (SDRAM 521MB + 256MB)
Available Physical Memory: 445.86 MB
Total Virtual Memory: 2.58 GB (managed by the OS)
Available Virtual Memory: 1.98 GB
Page File Space: 1.83 GB
Page File: C:\pagefile.sys
Hard Drive: IBM 120GXP 80GB
Partitions:
1.08GB-Primary Win98 (FAT32)
5.01GB-Primary WinXP Pro (NTFS)
5.01GB-Primary WinXP Pro (NTFS old partition)
5.5GB Unallocated
9.77GB-Logical(extended) Other (FAT 32)
4.89GB-Logical(extended) Other (FAT 32)
14.93GB-Logical(extended) Other (FAT 32)
30.50GB-Logical(extended) Other (FAT 32)

Applications installed:
Norton Antivirus 2003
ATI Hydravision
BBC News desktop ticker
MSN Messenger
TightVNC
Winzip
UltraMon
Office 2003 Standard
Adobe Reader 6.0
K-Lite codec pack
Ahead Nero
K9 (spam remover)
 10/07/2004 12:01 PM

Author Icon
MD - Moderator
Deployer of Mjölnir - House Keeping

There is a problem with some norton installs, look into your task manager and look for any norton dll's that are ramping up the cpu usage, one is nvscan IIRC, a guy at work had a similar problem, went to symantecs website and found the fix for it under the support area..

give that a try..

MD

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Physics? Ha! This is clearly magic and devilry at work. Prepare firewood! We have witches to burn!

10/07/2004 02:52 PM

Author Icon
finko

I couldn't find nvscan IIRC listed in the Task Manager. Only NAVAPSVC.EXE and NPROTECT.EXE run but the occupy 0% of CPU.

When the computer is idle there isn't much CPU activity. As I type this post CPU usage is between 2% and 12% which I find normal. When, however I start an application, or open My Computer the CPU usage reaches 100%.

The other strange thing is when I use the scroll button of the mouse and scroll a page up and down quickly the CPU goes to 100% (in this case process IEXPLORE.EXE).

COULD THERE BE SOMETHING WRONG WITH EITHER EXPLORER.EXE or IEXPLORE.EXE processes, I wonder?

I guess it's like the system behaves in single-tasking. If I try to open two or more apps at the same time the performance of the system if considerably reduced.

Last week with the previous (two year old) installation the computer didn't suffer this kind of behaviour.

Any thoughts?

10/07/2004 03:12 PM

Author Icon
MD - Moderator
Deployer of Mjölnir - House Keeping

Explore.exe is what you see when you read this...

There could be a problem with Iexplorer.exe though...do you scan for spy ware or anything like that...

Try that, maybe someone is hijacking your browser.

MD

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Physics? Ha! This is clearly magic and devilry at work. Prepare firewood! We have witches to burn!

10/07/2004 04:22 PM

Author Icon
finko

Explore.exe indeed!!! :-)

This is the 3rd system rebuild I've done since last saturday.
In the previous two I used Adaware, Spyboy S&D and Spy Sweeper to search for spy/adware etc. Nothing was found. My system is also behind a firewall. So I guess (I hope) the PC is not highjacked!

I just tried to listen to an MP3 using Windows Media Player (v9.00.00.2980). The song is heard fine if no other app is running. When I open My Computer the sound breaks. If I use the scroll mouse button and scroll up and down a web page in Internet Explorer the sound again breaks... very badly. When I stop scrolling the sound is fine again.
 10/08/2004 04:06 PM

Author Icon
finko

ok.. that's the 4th installation within one week. I removed all hardware, the computer is only using m/b, 256MB SDRAM, HDD, AGP graphics, er just that. I didn't even use a floppy or CD-ROM drives. No sound, no NIC.

Only took 29 minutes to install Windows XP Pro. Quite impressed! Since I the computer wasn't connected to the network I didn't install antivirus/anti-spyware etc.

I didn'e even install Office or any other apps apart of the software that comes with Windows.

Had the computer on with Windows Media Players playing MP3s, open WordPad and Internet Explorer (viewing local html files). After 3hours and 13mins.... SAME PROBLEMS!!!!!

The CPU usage went again to 100%.

It shouldn't be the M/B or CPU or RAM because last week the system was working fine, without these problems.

Could it be that I need to install any specific drivers on top of Windows that will control better certain h/w ???

I looked in VIA site and downloaded and installed the drivers for the m/b (4-in-1 drivers but this didn't help since I still have the same problem.

I'm trying now to install SP1 (I refrain yet in installing SP2) together with all other available update from Microsoft.
 10/08/2004 04:58 PM

Author Icon
Cybertimber2004

Has anyone with these problems TRIED SP2?
Fixed it for me. I had these probles about a week or two before SP2 came out, solved all problems.
 10/08/2004 05:10 PM

Author Icon
Charlie22911
Voodoo Programmer

Sp2 killed my gramps computer, i hate it...

Desktop:
Phenom II x6 1055T @ 4GHz | 4x2GB Patriot DDR3 1600 @ 2000 | 3x AMD Radeon HD6970 Crossfire

Laptop:
Core i7 2960xm @ 4.2Ghz | 4x4GB Kingston DDR3 1866 | 2x GTX 580m SLI OC 725/1450/1500
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information