Increase font size
Topic Title: PC does not start anymore
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/17/2004 06:41 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/17/2004 06:41 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
janosch

Hello.

I'm having the problem that my computer does not start up properly anymore. After switching on the power-supply, the lights on the mainboard are enlighted and all of the fans start to work.
But the screen keeps blank and even the BIOS-"beep" won't appear.

As I did not change sth at the hardware-configuration (yesterday, it worked all like a charm), I suppose there's some failure in the hardware.
Unfourtunately, I don't have the opportunity to test either the mainboard with another CPU or the CPU in another computer.

So, what do you think, is it either the CPU or the mainboard which has got a defect? (I disconnected all of the other devices and cards, so I suppose these two are the main suspects) How can I find out?

Thanks!
 10/17/2004 07:24 AM

Author Icon
eddaweaver

it is probably a dead motherboard, but it could also be a faulty power supply unit.
 10/17/2004 08:17 AM

Author Icon
KachiWachi

Start by making sure everything is seated properly inside the case, and vacuum/blow out all of the dust that you can see.

You can try to see if the board will POST with a minimum configuration (board, PS, CPU, RAM, video source) to see if an add-in card/device has mal-functioned.

If the power supply was excessively clogged with dust, it has most likely failed. Note that the board will not power up if it does not get a "power good" signal back from the motherboard, so make sure that the PS-to-motherboard connector(s) are properly seated.

-------------------------
KachiWachi

Moderator - Wim's BIOS

CPU #1 - DFI 586IPVG, K6-2/+ 450 (Cyrix MII 433), 128MB EDO. BIOS patched by Jan Steunebrink.
CPU #2 - Amptron PM-7900 (M520), i200 non-MMX, 128MB EDO
CPU #3 - HP8766C, PIII-667, 768MB SDRAM
CPU #4 - ASUS P3V4X, PIII-733, 256MB SDRAM
CPU #5 - ??? ;)
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information