Increase font size
Topic Title: Garp problem?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/19/2004 12:28 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/19/2004 12:28 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
stroudpete

I have an old AMD-K6 3D 500 processor (AMD cpuinfo.exe reports it as an AuthenticAMD) running W98SE. It had an SIS6326, which I replaced by a Rage Fury MAXX with the appropriate drivers. It runs, and allows me High Colour 1152x864 display.

I have tried to rebuild W98 on a blank disk, and after installing Directx8 & the Rage driver, it reboots and results in a completely black screen after trying to load windows. I can restore the (DriveImage) image of the disk as it was before I started the rebuild, and all is well again. Notes in an ATI readme mention AMD & black screens, and goes on to say it is essential to have the manufacturers GART driver installed.

I have searched everywhere and everyway I know, and am unable to locate one, other than the Windows® 98/98SE AGP Miniport Driver (http://www.amd.com/us-en/Proce...71_2336~10834,00.html) which makes no difference. Can anyone help, or tell me why I'm barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks

Pete Jones
 01/20/2004 12:57 AM

Author Icon
Greyhound

What mobo(manufacturer/model) do you have?
The GART(Graphics Aperture Remapping Table)-driver is part of the AGP-drivers for your chipset.

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

<center><font color=red>MODERATOR</center></font>

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 89W :: Asus M2N32SLI Deluxe :: 2x1024MB Muskin XP2-6400 DDR2-800 :: BeQuiet! Darkpower Pro 530W :: 2x WD Raptor 74GB/10k rpm, RAID 0 :: ATI Radeon X1950XTX
 01/20/2004 05:43 AM

Author Icon
stroudpete

Sorry - I was a little short on my spec:
Processor : 500 megahertz AMD K6-2 w/3DNow
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache
Main Circuit Bd : Board: First International Computer, Inc. PA-2013 PCB 2.X
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. 4.51 PG 03/21/00
Memory : 2 x 128 Mb memory in sep slots, with 2 spare
Controllers : floppy, primary & secondary IDE
VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller

The FIC site's page for PA-2013 links me to the AMD miniport download I mentioned in my original post, which appears to make no difference (ie. I rebuild W98SE - really I reload an image of it! - then apply the miniport driver update, load Directx8, then the graphics drivers. Reboot, starts windows, black screen.

I may just give up and go back to the working image, uninstall all the unwanted software, try a registry clean, then give it to my son to load play with. The original plan of starting from fresh, loading windows, drivers and software with him, explaining what's going on seems a non-starter. Glad I had a trial run(sssss) first!
 01/20/2004 06:15 AM

Author Icon
Greyhound

You need to download and install VIA's 4in1/Hyperion Drivers, NOT the drivers from AMD(those are for AMD-chipsets only).
You can get the Hyperions here' ">http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=300 - the latest version should work, but if it doesn't, there's a link to an older version(4.35) that is supposed to work better on Win9x-based systems.

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

<center><font color=red>MODERATOR</center></font>

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 89W :: Asus M2N32SLI Deluxe :: 2x1024MB Muskin XP2-6400 DDR2-800 :: BeQuiet! Darkpower Pro 530W :: 2x WD Raptor 74GB/10k rpm, RAID 0 :: ATI Radeon X1950XTX
 01/20/2004 09:44 AM

Author Icon
stroudpete

Thanks for your input. I actually solved it myself, then had to go straight out or I'd have posted the info immediately. I found the original FIC motherboard cd, searched it, found a folder called PATCHES, then under the subfolder VIA\AMD there was a viagart.inf & vxd. I tried right clicking and installing the inf file, but that did not have any effect (copy file to system folder & 2 reg entries) so I copied the file by hand, made the reg entries and rebooted (enabling bootlog.txt to check the driver loaded - it did). Installed DirectX8 & the Rage drivers and bingo - IT WORKED!!!

Thanks for your input. Your first question on mobo made me reasses and I realised the FIC PA-2013 was relevant info, thus leading me to search their site (no luck) and then search through a pile of 400 odd old CD's to find the FIC CD. Thank heaven I hoard old CDs (I have two spindle "towers" of them - they look great, wierd how you can see the spindle through the seemingly solid CDs!!!.

Cheers

Pete
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information