Increase font size
Topic Title: CPU upgrade question...
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/24/2004 10:49 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/24/2004 10:49 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
davidg32

Howdy!
My nephews have an HP Pavilion 8770c computer running an AMD Athlon (850 mhz) CPU. It's been a decent computer...we've upgraded the memory a couple of times and it's now running 512 mb...and I'd like to upgrade the CPU if I can.
Does anybody know what CPU upgrades would work on this computer? (What speed, etc.) I just want to pop the old one out and pop the new one in...don't want to do anything complicated...no changing motherboards, etc.
I realize this is older technology, and I probably can't find anything too new that would work. But I'd love to know what types of CPU's might work. (For example...should I replace an AMD CPU only with another AMD?) If I have to, I'll go shopping on eBay for it.
Any suggestions...advice...greatly appreciated.
Warm regards,
David Gardner
 01/25/2004 05:08 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Greyhound

From what i could find out, you have a Slot A motherboard with the AMD-750(Irongate) chipset. There should be a longish, big black cartridge on your mobo with a Heatsink attached to it...open your comp and look at the mobo to make sure.

Your Slot A mobo will only take AMD Slot A CPUs - intel's Slot 1 counterparts are not compatible(and slower than the fastest AMD Slot A CPUs, anyways )

The fastest Slot A-CPU that was ever made is a 1GHz Athlon Thunderbird...best place to find one would be EBay. It will not be that much faster than your current CPU, tho, as you have apparently(from the info i could gather from HP's site) a Thunderbird, too...so don't spend too much $$ on it.

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

<center><font color=red>MODERATOR</center></font>

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 89W :: Asus M2N32SLI Deluxe :: 2x1024MB Muskin XP2-6400 DDR2-800 :: BeQuiet! Darkpower Pro 530W :: 2x WD Raptor 74GB/10k rpm, RAID 0 :: ATI Radeon X1950XTX
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information