Increase font size
Topic Title: : Machine Check: Errors in XP Event Log
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/28/2004 02:57 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/28/2004 02:57 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
daveodono

Upon booting my new AMD Duron 1600 system I am receiving the following messages and entries in my Windows XP event log:

Application popup: : Machine Check:

followed by

Application popup: : Machine Check: Regs

and these repeat about 4 or more times. Both are logged as Event ID 26
So far they only occur upon cold booting the system, however there is no noticeable system problems or performance issues.. i.e. hangs, crashes, slowdowns etc..

I am running Windows XP Pro SP2 on an AMD Duron 1600 processor, 512MB 333DDR RAM and an ECS Elitegroup 741GX-M motherboard, 300 watt PSU and a Maxtor 80GB HDD. I have tested the memory(using memtest and Windows memory diagnostic, both ran for several hours with no errors) and also ran the Maxtor Powermax diag software on the HDD with no problems. I also checked my system temps and are within then norm. (Again these only seem to occur upon cold boot, so far)

This is a new system, and these messages did not occur until a few days after I set it up.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated it in figuring out these messages(and also if it is anything to be concerned about..) Thanks!
 11/13/2004 12:37 PM

Author Icon
betoyrm

If I may help, the first thing to do is upgrade the PS to 400-400W and then try a clean install of WinXP because that operating system is very sensitive to hardware dediciencies and installation.

Hope this could help
 11/26/2004 11:22 AM

Author Icon
Stone_age
Alpha Geek

Being its a cold boot issue, I'd have to partially agree with betoyrm. 300 watt should be enough, but its the quality of the PSU, that may be a question. The market is flooded with $10 power supplys right now, and is growing by the day. A cheap PSU, can kill a system in a flash. (voice of experience) If you can, post the name brand of the power supply, and the output, both what it shows on the case of the psu, and what the voltages are reading in your bios under system health. (if so equiped) Cheapo Power supplys are like spending a hundred grand on a new car, then putting in the cheapest oil you can find.

-------------------------
Phenom II X6 1055T, Asus M4A89GTD Pro/USB3
Phenom II X4 945, Gigabyte MA785G-UD3H
Zacate E-350, MSI E350IS -E45

http://classicplatforms.com
 12/08/2004 08:32 PM

Author Icon
kflangan

I have a fairly new Compaq Presario SR1000Z, that shows the same behaviour. I have reloaded the sysem, and patched it to the gills, all of the HP reccommended, as well as the MS ones.

The specifics
Presario SR1000Z
Product # P8657J
Athlon 2800+
512MB RAM
Fresh system load from HP rescue CD set, one I had them send me.

Hopefully that's enough detail.

Kevin

12/10/2004 04:07 PM

Author Icon
prosenberg

Daveodono,
Have you been running WinXP SP2 all along ? Or did you, like myself, get the SP2 upgrade by bringing it down via windowsupdate.com ? If so, when ?

Best regards
Peter Rosenberg

Here is the configuration for the newest of mine (a standard manufactured PC):
MedionPC#2:
CPU: Name : AMD Athlon™ XP 3200+Max ClockSpeed : 2191 MHz, Voltage : 1.6 V, L2 Cache Size : 512 Kb, L2 Cache Speed : 730 MHz BIOS: Name : Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG<span style='color:purp
 01/22/2005 07:21 PM

Author Icon
WildReboot

I am experiencing the same messages in my Eventlog (Application popup: : Machine Check: Regs). I have an additional plesant feature that will reboot my system when I am attempting to recode video or if my distributed computing screensave is running. I am unsure if these two symptoms are related or not. I have checked all of my connections, checked the temps with MBM5 ( CPU < 48C), and updated all of the software on my pc. I also flashed my firmware for my Samsung TSST DVD Burner. To begin with, I thought that it might be a virus/spyware and download Microsoft's new spyware checker (much better than I expected. Probably because Giant developed it), and ran Symantic.

During the reboot, I first get a STOP error reporting a driver problem. Maybe that is the same problem that our previous post was having too?

FAQs:

Manufacturer Name : MSI
Product Name : MS-6380
Processor Family : ( 1dh ) AMD Athlon™ Processor Family
Processor Manufacturer : AMD
Processor ID : 00000662h 00000055h
Processor Version : AMD Athlon™ XP 2100+
Voltage : ( 06h ) unknow
External Clock : ( 0085h ) 133 MHz
Max Speed : ( 0bb8h ) 3000 MHz
Current Speed : ( 06c5h ) 1733 MHz

02/01/2005 04:41 PM

Author Icon
prosenberg

Have not come closer to any solution, but I'm digging into the AMD implementation which must follow the Intel Pentium Architecture document referred to here:
http://support.microsoft.com/d...spx?...kb;en-us;329284' ">http://support.microsoft.com/d...x?scid=kb;en-us;329284

I can, though not find older document than the Pentium 4 Processor Architecture, which might be adequate, but the Part 3 is 800+ pages (sighhhh...)

Best regards
Peter Rosenberg

Here is the configuration for the newest of mine (a standard manufactured PC):
MedionPC#2:
CPU: Name : AMD Athlon™ XP 3200+Max ClockSpeed : 2191 MHz, Voltage : 1.6 V, L2 Cache Size : 512 Kb, L2 Cache Speed : 730 MHz BIOS: Name : Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG<span style='color:purp
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information