Increase font size
Topic Title: Elpina MoBo and K6-2 333?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/14/2004 04:44 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/14/2004 04:44 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
davekurz

Have used the K6-2 for three years, on a Shuttle 591p board, with a quarter gig of SDRam. Have now gone to an ASUS ATX board, with a Duron running at 950, no problem.

The old board and processor have been transplanted into my daughter's machine, and there was great difficulty getting either W2K or W98SE to install. This is of course a bad sign of a damaged board.

Have a board from a still older machine called "Elpina" in copper, and not in silk-screening, on the bottom of the board.

The unit has Socket 7, and has the look of being well made. Google search has turned up mention of the board and the company, in China. But the company is either not supporting the board, or I simply can't penetrate the layers. Google has just a LOT of references in Russian.

I want to use the fine workhorse K6-2, and in some ways when I Ghost Clone the former system to the hard drive (Seagate 40G brand new) it runs like a scalded cat until I try to add hardware such as a modem or scuzzy card. Setup complains about PCI to ISA bridge drivers not available. But they are in the appropriate places in C:\Windows. Sounds like a faulty board to me. Other sites recommend upgrading the chipset on the 591P but the five upgrades all lock the system. Another bad sign regarding the board. It's now mounted with the same quarter-gig of SDRam.

The Elpina bears a SN of 10955955 but no model number I can find. The Chipset is VX PC82C437VX+, and I can download drivers for it. Likely I can also find a bios upgrade for the Award PCI/PNP USB 586 bios. But there are jumpers everywhere, and the silk-screening is pretty unrevealing about function.

Help about specs and changes? Thanks in advance. I'd like to be able to use the board. Happy Valentine's Day, dave

Spent part of afternoon in Google, and found a site in Britain, whose sysop is apparently a nut for this board, and tweaking various AMD processors on it. Anyone interested in this topic should investigate Skinnedknuckles.co.uk/ for a fairly large amount of information on this MoBo made by,..., none other than PCChips. So no wonder I could find no info on it. The board was sold under many names, but is apparently pretty robust. He has a K6-2 250 running at nearly twice that. My next problem is going to be about core voltage, since the minimum on the board is 2.5, and that's apparently the max that AMD allows. Changing some resistors can lower that voltage, and the site has info on methods. Cheers.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information