Increase font size
Topic Title: Overheating Athlon?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/16/2004 08:37 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/16/2004 08:37 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
leehaines

This goes hand in hand with my prob posted in the older cpu info and specs forum.

Specs:
AMD Athlon 1333mhz
L1 Data Cache: 64Kb
L1 Inst Cache: 64kb
L2 Cache: 256kb
Family/Model/Step: 6.4.4
MMX: Yes
Ext MMX: Yes
3dNow: Yes
Ext 3dNow: Yes

Recenty my computer had been loading things and running them at very slow speeds, my cpu temp (as reported by bios) is 60C, my sys temp is 30C.

Also, My BIOS reports that Fan 1+2 are running at 0RPM.....Surely this has to be wrong? The fan in my casing is running.

Totally confused and bewildered at the moment, is my cpu too hot?

Thanks in advance.
 02/17/2004 01:56 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Greyhound

Max temp for your CPU is 95°C, but unlike the Athlon XP-line, the older Athlons do not have a built-in thermal diode...instead, temperature is measured by a thermistor in the CPU-Socket. Since this thermistor measures temperature under the CPU, the actual die temp. may be several °C higher - most motherboards add 10-20°C to the thermistor-value, to get as close to the actual die-temp as possible...unfortunately, this can vary between different motherboards and even different BIOS-versions.

The best way to find out whether you have a heat issue is to leave your case open and let a really big fan blow directly on the motherboard. If this resolves your issues, then it is a heat-related problem.

QUOTE Also, My BIOS reports that Fan 1+2 are running at 0RPM.....Surely this has to be wrong? The fan in my casing is running.
It is possible that your fans are either not connected to the motherboard-headers(they could be connected directly to a 4-pin connector from the PSU) or that their rpm is below what the motherboard/BIOS can detect.

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

<center><font color=red>MODERATOR</center></font>

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 89W :: Asus M2N32SLI Deluxe :: 2x1024MB Muskin XP2-6400 DDR2-800 :: BeQuiet! Darkpower Pro 530W :: 2x WD Raptor 74GB/10k rpm, RAID 0 :: ATI Radeon X1950XTX
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information