Increase font size
Topic Title: Burnt CPU?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/21/2004 09:09 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/21/2004 09:09 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
kumargk

Hi,
I bought a ECS K7SEM motherboard adn a duron 1.3 ghz cpu, installed everything as mentioned, but didnot install the cpu fan correctly, i got the POST but lasted for 3-4 seconds and i heard a noise and the video went off and the system wont give any video output at all. it was silly of me not to install the cooling fan appropriately, but is it possible for the cpu to get fried so fast ?(within 3-4 seconds) because of faulty fan installation??
Now the motherboard powersup and the fan and everything work as well, the cou gets slightly hot ( i tested after i shut down the syste,), and i dont see any burnt signs on the cou as well.
how do i test whether the cpu is not burnt??
is there anything that i could do to findout whether cpu is burnt or not?? i am still waiting for another motherboard/cpu to arrive, i guess the current one is alright, but cpu is not.
please tell me how to findout whether cou is burnt or not?? cna it burn so quickly when fan was not installed properly?? (within 3-4 seconds)?

thanks and have a good day
kumar
 02/22/2004 11:36 PM

Author Icon
Aubrey

Most new m/b have a cpu overheat protection circuit on them and just shut down. Have you tried reseting the cmos on the m/b.

-------------------------
( Quote )
Possession of a powerful computer is no substitute for a working brain.
A working brain is no substitute for possession of a powerful computer.
 02/23/2004 01:45 AM

Author Icon
Hawke

Hello,

I just hope you didn't forget to apply thermal paste between the heatsink and cPU die, too.
 02/23/2004 01:57 AM

Author Icon
Greyhound

QUOTE how do i test whether the cpu is not burnt??
is there anything that i could do to findout whether cpu is burnt or not?
If there are no visible burning marks on the CPU, you should test it in another computer or a known working motherboard.
QUOTE cna it burn so quickly when fan was not installed properly?
Depends on how the heatsink was installed...if it did not make any contact with the die or only very little contact, then it is possible that you fried the CPU...
If you just forgot to plug in the fan, i doubt the CPU would've been damaged.

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

<center><font color=red>MODERATOR</center></font>

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 89W :: Asus M2N32SLI Deluxe :: 2x1024MB Muskin XP2-6400 DDR2-800 :: BeQuiet! Darkpower Pro 530W :: 2x WD Raptor 74GB/10k rpm, RAID 0 :: ATI Radeon X1950XTX
 02/23/2004 06:49 AM

Author Icon
molliedgreat

So now your computer won't POST at all? They are correct if you burnt your cpu, there would be physical evidence of it like change of color, odor, melted chip (extreme case)

You could do a test to confirm that the cpu is bad. Get a "known good processor" that is compatible with your motherboard and install it. If it works then it just means that your CPU is bad.

Barya Lang Po Sa Umaga.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information