AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: 1.46 AMD Duron Applebred: my settings optimized?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06/22/2004 03:57 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/22/2004 03:57 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
rshift

I have an M7VKD biostar motherboard with a VIA VT8363/5 KT133 chipset that I flashed to the current Award 6.00 PG bios. It has 512 DIMM, SDRAM. I bought a 1.46 AMD Duron cpu and replaced my old AMD 700mhz cpu. At the time I replaced the cpu, I assumed that, since I was replacing AMD products, that I didn't have to manually configure any jumper switches or tweak the bios. Was I correct?
At the bios start-up, the cpu is listed as "1050" (100x10.5).
I switched from Win98se to WinXP Pro, as well and I appreciated the improvement in speed and ease. However, I've noticed a slow-down as I've begun to install and use programs, especially graphics and text. Nothing terrible, but enough to concern me. Is my system optimized for this particular cpu? Should the settings be changed? If so, how?
I've been looking at overclocking sites the last several days and they seem to push their systems for games. I'm interested in just getting my work done.
The info I've gleaned off of "PC Wizard 2004" for my cpu is: "CPU ID: 680"; "CPU IDEx: 780"; Revision: A0"; "Model: Unknown CPU Typ"; "Codename: Applebred"; "Technology: 0.13".
The L1 cache is 128 kb and the L2 cache is 64kb.
Thank you.
 06/23/2004 01:15 AM

Author Icon
Greyhound

QUOTE I bought a 1.46 AMD Duron cpu and replaced my old AMD 700mhz cpu. At the time I replaced the cpu, I assumed that, since I was replacing AMD products, that I didn't have to manually configure any jumper switches or tweak the bios. Was I correct?
First off, there is no 1.46GHz Duron, what you have is a 1.40GHz part.
Unlike your old 700MHz processor, your new Duron has a 133MHz FSB(Frontside Bus, aka 'CPU external clock'.
Make sure you set your FSB to 133MHz both in BIOS and via jumper on your motherboard - refer to your manual for details(i.e. location and correct settings of the jumper, if there is such a jumper).

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

<center><font color=red>MODERATOR</center></font>

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 89W :: Asus M2N32SLI Deluxe :: 2x1024MB Muskin XP2-6400 DDR2-800 :: BeQuiet! Darkpower Pro 530W :: 2x WD Raptor 74GB/10k rpm, RAID 0 :: ATI Radeon X1950XTX
 06/23/2004 10:04 AM

Author Icon
rshift

Hey Greyhound,
Thanks! Excellent advice. After I read your reply here, I went back to the motherboard site (Biostar) and got the instructions for setting the jumpers. I had set the jumpers and configured the bios yesterday, but I had done it incorrectly, in the wrong sequence. Too bad that the info on the Biostar site isn't very clear to the average computer user like myself on how to go about this. More information from Biostar on their site about the bios settings for the clock would've been helpful, too. After I correctly set the jumpers, the clock settings in the bios went to the default speed (133mhz rather than the 100mhz that kept kept showing up on the bios post). I didn't have a clue about this yesterday and unsuccessfully tried to set the clock from within the bios PRIOR to setting the jumpers. The cpu speed is now listed as 1403 mhz and the FSB is now 133.64 mhz (prior to this, the cpu speed was ALWAYS 1050mhz and the FSB had been 100mhz) in PCWindows 2004. On the bios startup screen, the cpu is listed as 1600+. The cpu temperature has remained in the same general area as when it was running at 1050mhz (around 37-40 c).
I really appreciated your info. I used several different programs and looked at quite a few documents and STILL came up with the wrong info on the AMD cpu ID. Your info was on the mark -- better, clearer and more helpful than all those progs and docs
Thanks again!
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information