Increase font size
Topic Title: 1.33ghz t-bird cooling
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06/22/2004 04:58 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/22/2004 04:58 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
beryllinthranox

When i first bought the athlon 1.33ghz chip, the temps were hovering at around 60C/140F.
Now, after a few years, my t-bird's temps have soared to 75C/167F.
Since, im buying an athlon 2700+ soon, im thinking of giving the 2700's boxed heatsink to my 1.33 chip to try and cool it down. (I'll get the 2700 a another heatsink)
Will this work?

P.S. i currently have a thermaltake super orb cooling my chip.
 06/23/2004 01:11 AM

Author Icon
Greyhound

Dust will inevitably accumulate on your processors' Heatsink & Fan(cooler) over time...cleaning off your heatsink would prolly improve your temperatures by a few degrees - you can use a can of compressed air to remove dust.
QUOTE Since, im buying an athlon 2700+ soon, im thinking of giving the 2700's boxed heatsink to my 1.33 chip to try and cool it down. (I'll get the 2700 a another heatsink)
Will this work?
Yes, it will work - generally, all Socket A coolers are interchangeable...you will be fine as long as it fits on your motherboard(which should not be an issue with a retail-box cooler).
When you change coolers, make sure you remove any residue of thermal interface material from your processor before installing the new cooler - you can use a soft, lint-free cloth and some alcohol(>90%) to clean it off.
If you plan to use thermal compound/thermal grease instead of the preapplied thermal interface material(TIM) that comes with the retail-box cooler, make sure you remove the TIM aswell before you apply thermal compound and install the cooler.

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

<center><font color=red>MODERATOR</center></font>

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 89W :: Asus M2N32SLI Deluxe :: 2x1024MB Muskin XP2-6400 DDR2-800 :: BeQuiet! Darkpower Pro 530W :: 2x WD Raptor 74GB/10k rpm, RAID 0 :: ATI Radeon X1950XTX
 06/23/2004 04:00 PM

Author Icon
Wildcard

Also be careful when installing a better cooler - the force required is considerable and it's advisable to use a flat-heat screwdriver if you can. This will concentrate the force where it's needed, on the clip itself. With that Athlon processor I don't think a bigger/better HSF will do much for overclocking but it will keep it very cool.

I have been getting some good results from the AKASA copper/air coolers (3.2GHz). But always see if there's a review of the one you'd like to purchase first, as the noise levels can range from 27 - 55dB. Some are right noise rackets but you have luck on your side as it hopefully won't be spinning at full speed.

As for thermal compound, some of the cheaper stuff doesn't bode well with time, and hence it can affect ther efficiency of the processor.

Am currently running a K6-III+ with a 3GHz Socket A processor (copper base & aliminium fins). Even though the design is bog-standard, the CPU runs at 560MHz (it's electrical limit without serious modification), and the HS so cool there's almost no heat coming from it..this is inside a tight case as well with no extraction.

. AMD CPU Data: http://www.tomshardware.com/20.../amd...ult/page23.html & http://www.amdboard.com/amdid.html
. Belarc Advisor: http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
. GPU Comparison for Laptops: <a href="http://www.notebookche
 06/23/2004 11:50 PM

Author Icon
Charlie22911
Voodoo Programmer

you might want to avoid running your computer while its until you get your heating problem fixed, it will shorten its life and may kill it.
as for wildcards k6-III+, im pulling 32*C @ 550Mhz with a celiron 1.4Ghz H/s using tooth paste as a thermal compound since i dont have any articsilver yet .

Charlie.

Desktop:
Phenom II x6 1055T @ 4GHz | 4x2GB Patriot DDR3 1600 @ 2000 | 3x AMD Radeon HD6970 Crossfire

Laptop:
Core i7 2960xm @ 4.2Ghz | 4x4GB Kingston DDR3 1866 | 2x GTX 580m SLI OC 725/1450/1500
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information