Increase font size
Topic Title: AMD 6K & upgrade to AMD 64
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07/31/2004 03:00 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/31/2004 03:00 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
zohra

How to upgrade-amd K6 to amd 64

Shall be very grateful for your advice and hints on what to change and the instructions to give to the technician at my local computer boutique because I want to install a software on my AMD 6K machine.

By the middle of the installation, I get an error message saying that my installation cannot proceed on such a machine. The technical support team of the software company, told me that it the installation is possible on an AMD 64. And will therefore ask you what to change in the machine to make it compatible, to the installation or to amd64, I mean:

-what are the things to change on the machine
-the instructions to give to my local boutique technician
-any other neccassary advice.

Thx for your kind attention in advance.
 07/31/2004 03:34 PM

Author Icon
Charlie22911
Voodoo Programmer

you canot do such an upgrade from a socket7 system (a k6 cpu is a socket7).
you will need new ram a new board and a new cpu and a new psu.
you just need to buy a whole new system or post a new topic asking for help on how to build one if you want quality.i cant help much here because lack of experince .

-------------------------
Desktop:
Phenom II x6 1055T @ 4GHz | 4x2GB Patriot DDR3 1600 @ 2000 | 3x AMD Radeon HD6970 Crossfire

Laptop:
Core i7 2960xm @ 4.2Ghz | 4x4GB Kingston DDR3 1866 | 2x GTX 580m SLI OC 725/1450/1500
 07/31/2004 04:49 PM

Author Icon
eddaweaver

what kind of software are you trying to install? I don't know why they particularly specified an AMD64.
 08/01/2004 12:43 PM

Author Icon
zohra

Very many thanks to both of you.

2. you canot do such an upgrade from a socket7 system (a k6 cpu is a socket7).you will need new ram a new board and a new cpu and a new psu.

-I agree I will need a new ram(about 512 mo) I was told by the tech. support team.
-a new motherboard
-a new cpu(the technical support team already recommended amd athlon
-can you give further hints on the psu

3.you just need to buy a whole new system

You mean a whole new central unit and can still use my screen.

These questions are necessary because the technician did not understand the compatibility list that I presented to him and simply gave me an amd k6. The manual specifically mentioned AMD 64 architecture. That is why I have to get my facts clear.

Thanks again to both of you.
 08/02/2004 03:43 AM

Author Icon
zir_blazer
Code Warrior

Athlon 64, Athlon 64 FX and Opteron have a x86-64 (AMD64) architecture. However, there is almost no Software that actually used it. What did you try to install?
 08/02/2004 02:24 PM

Author Icon
zohra

Actually it was the incompetence or the negligence of my local computer shop technician(+ my inexperience) that all combined to cause these problems.

I gave a compatibility list for red hat enterprise linux and it was during the installation process that I detected that it was an amdk6 due to the error message that says"you are trying to install on a machine that isn't supported by this version of red hat enterprise linux."

Thanks to you all. Now I retain a summary of the requirements as stated above.

08/02/2004 03:22 PM

Author Icon
rosarix

A PSU (power supply unit) for AMD64 should have a 4-pin 12v connector (also called P4 connector, some PSUs have a 6pin connector which is compatible with the 4pin version) and have enough wattage to power all system components. For a PC with a small graphics card, one HDD and one CDROM, a 300W PSU should be fine.

AMD64 is 64bit. K6 is 32bit. K6 cannot run 64bit programs, but AMD64 can run 32bit software. there are both 32bit and 64bit versions of most major GNU/Linux distributions. SuSE sells SuSE Linux 9 Professional for 90 Euro which includes both the 32bit and the 64bit version. Another Linux distribution with both 32bit and 64bit support and free download is Debian.

-------------------------
NerdyPC' ">http://www.nerdypc.org/ - My Blog' ">http://nsk.wikinerds.org/blog - My PCs' ">http://nsk.wikinerds.org/computers.html
 08/03/2004 02:14 PM

Author Icon
zohra

You added further clarifications into this issue and before I proceed to the next level, shall be grateful for the following information:

-what is HDD?
-how do I verify that the new system installed on the computer is 64 bit program?
-I know that one can go to the work station icon on any system and--->click on properties and from the general tab get info.

Thx for your attention.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information