Increase font size
Topic Title: AMD K6-2/333 and XP Pro
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/14/2003 03:58 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/14/2003 03:58 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Ray

Hello All
I have searched thru several posts here and found some helpful hints but alas I still have questions.
For a friend who needs a computer for his family to do homework I upgraded the old 98 to xp pro however the system crashes quite often and I have re-installed several times. The 98 was slow and barely worked but did not crash so much as freeze requiring reboot. Do you think its the machine or the OS?
Do I need to do a bios update for XP and if so where can I download one from?
Do I do the flash before or after I install the OS?
The XP works fast and smooth and a lot better than 98 did so we would like to stay w/XP. I have heard the microsoft is no longer supporting 98. Is this true? I don't really want to go back to 98 as I feel its out of date.
I'm sure to have more questions later as info comes in. Any info is appreciated
Thanks
Ray
 11/14/2003 05:19 PM

Author Icon
MadMarky

What are the further specifications of the system? Like memory and such?
Windows XP is very stable in general, so the biggest chance is that the hardware causes the crashes. Maybe the cpu is getting too hot. Are all the fans still spinning, and how much dust is the computer case?

-------------------------
AMD Athlon X2 4600+ @ 2.8Ghz
DFI Lanparty NF4 Ultra-D
2x 1GB G.Skill PC4000
XFX GeForce 7900GT
Antec TrueBlue 480w PSU
Thermaltake Xaser III case
 11/14/2003 06:21 PM

Author Icon
Monolith

QUOTE (Ray @ Nov 14 2003, 12:58 PM) Hello All
I have searched thru several posts here and found some helpful hints but alas I still have questions.
For a friend who needs a computer for his family to do homework I upgraded the old 98 to xp pro however the system crashes quite often and I have re-installed several times. The 98 was slow and barely worked but did not crash so much as freeze requiring reboot. Do you think its the machine or the OS?
Do I need to do a bios update for XP and if so where can I download one from?
Do I do the flash before or after I install the OS?
The XP works fast and smooth and a lot better than 98 did so we would like to stay w/XP. I have heard the microsoft is no longer supporting 98. Is this true? I don't really want to go back to 98 as I feel its out of date.
I'm sure to have more questions later as info comes in. Any info is appreciated
Thanks
Ray
Doesnt XP have a system requirement of 400mhz?

Regardless, putting XP on a machine that old is a mistake IMO. It's far too large and too resource intensive to work properly. I think Win98 would be your best choice. Yes, its old, but that really shouldnt matter - it still works. If you reformat his drives and do a fresh install of 98 it should run fine.
 11/14/2003 11:47 PM

Author Icon
Ray

Thanks guys. XP requires a 266/P1 and 64 ram but they recommend 128. The computer has 224 MB ram. The xp works far better than the 98 ever did but I gotta get rid of the stability problem. Sometimes it will run for ten hours and sometimes it takes several reboots before it will "stabilize" I just finished a compatibilty check w/xp disc and web connect and says"no incompatabilities".
I went the distance took the covers off and removed the fan cleaned off the dust and re-installed. Now on start-up screen shows AMD K6-2/150. It once said 2/208 and on next boot and since then now says 2/150. Sooooo what have I done?
Thanks
Ray
 11/15/2003 02:20 AM

Author Icon
Greyhound

hmmm...weird...make sure the CPU is seated properly.
224MB of RAM looks like a 128+64+32 config to me try removing the 32MB-stick and if that doesn't do anything try running with one stick only.

Some specs please - what mobo(manufacturer/model) and RAM(manufacturer, PC66/100)?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

<center><font color=red>MODERATOR</center></font>

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 89W :: Asus M2N32SLI Deluxe :: 2x1024MB Muskin XP2-6400 DDR2-800 :: BeQuiet! Darkpower Pro 530W :: 2x WD Raptor 74GB/10k rpm, RAID 0 :: ATI Radeon X1950XTX
 11/15/2003 02:58 AM

Author Icon
Java
Elite

Typically, if the processor is not being identified correctly, you have a BIOS issue. Try reseting the BIOS and also reset the config data when you do the reset on the BIOS. These are 2 separte processes. Reset Config data is a setting in the BIOS. Reseting the BIOS defaults is also a BIOS setting but can also be accomplished by a jumper on the mobo.

As for thermals, pull off the side of the case and point a small house fan inside to get a large volume of air moving on all components. If problems go away, then you likely have a thermal issue. If not, then you have some other problem (likely driver related). If the system is that old, you may have some older legacy components not recognized by XP and is causing conflicts. May need to get to a bare system and then do the OS install. Add 1 component at a time until you find the failing components.

Make sure you have PnP OS Aware setting in the BIOS to yes. Both 98 and XP are PnP OS's.

Give those a try and get back to us.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Java
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

System 1: A64 X2 4800 | A8N SLI Del. | 6800GT | TT Tsunami | WD 80GB HD | Plextor DVD R/W | 1GB Corsair Pro, 1GB Crucial Balistix<br>System 2 (Wife's): A64 460
 11/15/2003 10:51 PM

Author Icon
Ray

Thanks
I was able to re-set to 2/333. I set to 83mhz 4x and 2.4V. Its idling at 40C 105F. I am now re-installing OS. Its let me delete the partition so fingers crossed the kids can do homework again. At first reboot I am looking at 45C 113F am I too hot? Any suggestions welcome.
Thanks
Ray
OK I have a system again. A rockin system. I have never seen this computer respond so well. Its like lightnin speed. My concern is burn now. That and I'm lookin at my Athlon 1.4 512ddr wonderin what I can do,lol. What a difference!
Thanks
 11/16/2003 04:16 AM

Author Icon
Greyhound

According to AMD's Datasheet' ">http://www.amd.com/us-en/asset...nd_tech_docs/21850.pdf, max temp for your CPU is 70°C.
As long as it is running stable and you don't have any problems with it i wouldn't worry

<center><font color=red>MODERATOR</center></font>

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 89W :: Asus M2N32SLI Deluxe :: 2x1024MB Muskin XP2-6400 DDR2-800 :: BeQuiet! Darkpower Pro 530W :: 2x WD Raptor 74GB/10k rpm, RAID 0 :: ATI Radeon X1950XTX
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information