Increase font size
Topic Title: USB not in Device Manager
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/26/2003 02:03 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/26/2003 02:03 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
filewasp

I'm not sure how this happened but both of my AMD K6/2 USB ports do not work. On boot up with cords attached, new hardware not detected. My digital camera works plugged into com1 or com2 but it used to work in the USB. I want to boot into BIOS and look for a place to enable the ports. Is it under Integrated Peripherals or Advanced Settings? and is it safe to do? I read something about flashing and I don't understand what that really means so Don't want to get myself into trouble! Any input?
 10/26/2003 04:10 PM

Author Icon
filewasp

well, I'm replying to my own post. . . Went to Asus.com since that is my MotherBoard, and will down load their flash to upgrade the BIOS. The thing I still don't quite get is if that will enable again my USB ports. I don't have the guts to just enable them myself but I think I'll go inside and take a look at least. If I download the flash I though I'd burn it to CD. But it recommends a floppy. Not sure if the CDROM will work in BIOS mode. There's a lot they don't tell you. That's why it's good to have smart input. I"ll check back. I have an older AMD K6 with 3D Now! Later. . . . . . ..
 10/27/2003 02:19 AM

Author Icon
Greyhound

some more info would be helpful...like what mobo do you have and what O/S are you using?

You said USB did work before...if so, what did you do that could have stopped it from working? did you replace the battery, reinstall O/S(or install a different one), etc...?

QUOTE If I download the flash I though I'd burn it to CD. But it recommends a floppy. Not sure if the CDROM will work in BIOS mode.
IF you do have a floppydrive, i do recommend you do it from a floppy.
You can do it from CD, but you will need a bootdisk with a CD-driver or a bootable CD.

QUOTE I don't have the guts to just enable them myself but I think I'll go inside and take a look at least.
if USB is merely disabled in BIOS, just set it back to 'enabled' - you can't damage anything, don't worry

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

<center><font color=red>MODERATOR</center></font>

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 89W :: Asus M2N32SLI Deluxe :: 2x1024MB Muskin XP2-6400 DDR2-800 :: BeQuiet! Darkpower Pro 530W :: 2x WD Raptor 74GB/10k rpm, RAID 0 :: ATI Radeon X1950XTX
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information