Increase font size
Topic Title: Upgrading Duron processor
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/29/2005 07:43 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/29/2005 07:43 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
joemc2001

I have an older motherboard (2003 is old?) that takes a Duron processor. Since I can not find any for sale my question is.... Can I put a Semptron processor on the motherboard. I have no case, ram or harddrive for it yet and would like to find this out before I spend any money. I realize I could buy a new computer but would like to build one just for the experience. The board originally had an AMD 850Mhz Duron in it. It also had on board sound and video.
If anyone has an answer it would be great.
Thanks.
 11/30/2005 03:43 AM

Author Icon
eddaweaver

It depends on the model of motherboard, what model of motherboard is it?
 11/30/2005 05:48 AM

Author Icon
cowen1000

The duron uses a FSB of 133 whereas most Sempron's need a FSB of 166 except for the 3200+ which needs 200. Also it depends on your ram, if you are using SDRAM pc133 then it won't be fast enough to cope! you need to be using DDR (PC2700) at least! unless you have some way in your bios to be able to run your mem @133 whilst running your FSB @166!

-------------------------
http://www.danasoft.com/sig/hankthomas.jpg
 11/30/2005 08:32 AM

Author Icon
joemc2001

Thanks for your help. The motherboard does not have a name on it. It does need SDRAM so I guess I am out of luck unless I can find a used duron processor somwhere. I may still try to put a computer together just for the heck of it.
Thanks again.
 11/30/2005 08:38 AM

Author Icon
eddaweaver

A Sempron doesn't need a FSB of 166MHz to run, it needs a FSB of 166MHz to run at full speed. It may run on some [compatible] 133MHz or even 100MHz constrained motherboards, just not at full speed.

There are some 133Mhz limited motherboards (like the one I got) that use PC133 RAM which can run an Athlon XP Thoroughbred / Sempron. PC133 RAM is not a preclusion for the chip to be able to operate.

If your motherboard can take a Duron processor, it can certainly take an Athlon Thunderbird. Whether it can take Athlon XPs and Semprons depends on the model. Usually you can figure out what motherboard you've got from the bios string displayed at boot time. I'd guess you've got some PCChips variant that it doesn't have written on the PCB what model it is. There is a site called the PCChips lottery which is good for identifying their boards.
 11/30/2005 08:59 AM

Author Icon
joemc2001

QUOTE(eddaweaver @ Nov 30 2005, 08:38 AM)A Sempron doesn't need a FSB of 166MHz to run, it needs a FSB of 166MHz to run at full speed. It may run on some [compatible] 133MHz or even 100MHz constrained motherboards, just not at full speed.

There are some 133Mhz limited motherboards (like the one I got) that use PC133 RAM which can run an Athlon XP Thoroughbred / Sempron. PC133 RAM is not a preclusion for the chip to be able to operate.

If your motherboard can take a Duron processor, it can certainly take an Athlon Thunderbird. Whether it can take Athlon XPs and Semprons depends on the model. Usually you can figure out what motherboard you've got from the bios string displayed at boot time. I'd guess you've got some PCChips variant that it doesn't have written on the PCB what model it is. There is a site called the PCChips lottery which is good for identifying their boards.
[right][snapback]557080[/snapback][/right]

Thanks, I will check that out.
 11/30/2005 11:33 AM

Author Icon
cowen1000

@Eddaweaver
I know that, but there is no point in running a Sempron/ AthlonXP 'underclocked' as you wouldn't get it's full benefit. You may as well stick to a duron / thunderbird!

11/30/2005 01:30 PM

Author Icon
eddaweaver

I told him he could run a Thunderbird, and that a Sempron would be underclocked - if he can't find a Duron or Thunderbird, running a Sempron on 133MHz FSB is alright if he just wants to browse and type emails, it'll probably be faster than a subGHz Duron anyway. If you're American Cowen, you may be surprised how difficult it is to find rare or old parts in some small countries!

But if his system takes Semprons, it'd probably be better with an Applebred 1.4 to 1.8GHz Duron or an Athlon XP Thoroughbred anyway, which I should've remembered to say.

Here is the lottery:
http://www.stud.fernuni-hagen.de/q3998142/pcchips/' ">http://www.stud.fernuni-hagen.de/q3998142/pcchips/

Compatiblity is important for newer chips like teh Applebred Duron and Sempron - the system won't even boot or stay stable otherwise. If you really can't figure out what motherboard you've got, an Athlon Thunderbird for 100MHz FSB is the best bet as it is sure to work.
 12/01/2005 11:41 AM

Author Icon
cowen1000

You can d'load 'everest' from Here' ">http://www.lavalys.com/product...load.php?pid=1&lang=en that should tell you what mobo you have got /biggrin.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='biggrin.gif' />

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information