Increase font size
Topic Title: Processor upgrade
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/23/2005 12:12 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/23/2005 12:12 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Achilles,

Good evening:

I would like to get some guidance on the steps to replace a 700MHz Duron with a 1.3GHz Duron. My system is like 5 years old now but, it's still reliable and this upgrade will help a lot. I'm kind of new to this and I just want to make sure I'm doing it the right way. I'd like to know if the replacement is just a swap (can I use the same heatsink and fan?). Or if I need to get a new heatsink and fan? And what about that compound I've been hearing about, some kind of thermal grease I think it is, do I need that too? Where does it go? How do I remove the old chip?

I tried before but decided to quit because I was having a hard time. Do I need to remove all the drives and PCI cards and the power supply to reach the chip? Are there any special tools that I need for this? If it helps, I have a Compaq Presario 5WV254. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
 09/25/2005 06:25 AM

Author Icon
watchin

You shouldn't need to remove anything but the fan, heatsink and CPU. The only reason you would remove any other components is if they are physically in the way. I am in the process of replacing an AMD CPU with another, faster chip and I don't anticipate any problems. Don't be afraid of it but treat it with a little respect. You shouldn't have to use any special tools to remove it. If it is a socket A then it is a plug in chip and once you remove the fan and heatsink clips it is ready to be extracted. Sometimes some gentle persuasion (slight rocking motion) is required. I would recommend replacing the thermal grease..not much..but a nice level layer. You want to avoid gaps since the whole idea is to transfer heat evenly to the heatsink. I have changed many CPUs in the past and have never had a problem (other than getting the old one out smoothly). Some just pull straight out with no resistance and some can be stubborn. Again, try not to bend the pins.
Let us know how it goes.
-watchin-
 09/25/2005 10:34 AM

Author Icon
eddaweaver

And the lever… don't forget the lever. Lift it up before pulling the CPU out, and place it back down whilst firmly holding the new CPU in.
 10/08/2005 12:43 PM

Author Icon
Achilles,

Thank you very much for the info. I found the task very easy to accomplish and it only took me about 20 minutes to complete. I started up my computer with no problems and so far it's been two weeks since the upgrade and I am totally satisfied with the results and increased performance. Thanks again.

Achilles
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information