AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: How to get some extra frame rates?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/28/2005 03:19 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/28/2005 03:19 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Outtathway

This question is just because I found and utility very very old that gave u some extra frame rates like about 300 fps it´s called 3DNOWV2 you might find it googling 3DNOWV2.zip utility or somethat I was just wondering if any of u computer Savies had any idea of how to make this driver work since I guess is for win 98 OR if u had any tips trick soft similar to this or whatever too squeeze my processor graphic capabilities

some specs of my pcd
amd k6-2 plain 3dnow 500mhz overclck´d 550mhz (seeking for k62+ in my country) chomper
384 of ram
8 mb of shared video memory
windows 2000
k6speed sys write allocation with no hole at 384 Segwed
mobo pcchips M599LMR (seeking for a patched bios)

PS: I neeeeeeed a graphic card badlyyyyyyyy

thnxs in advance
 11/14/2005 11:31 PM

Author Icon
Wildcard

Hi Outthatway,

The file you refer to is a Quake II driver for Voodoo 2 graphics cards, that uses the '3DNow!' instruction set for optimised performance.

You put the two .dll files from the zip file, in your Quake II folder then choose the "3Dnow! 3dfxGL" driver option. The result will be a potential frame rate increase of +30fps.

But..you are using onboard video so you would need a Voodoo card to use those enhancements I'm afraid and the performance you would get in that game would not be reflective of other games.

The Voodoo 2 or 3 cards are great for older K6-2 processors, since the cards themselves offer a lot of processing power. But support has stopped for that card and it's only recommended if you want to play really old games or N64 emulators (I used to play Project IGI and Quake I/II on my rig). For 2D stuff and the Mame32 arcade emulator it would be fine.

Your current system even optimised or using a K6-2+ and PCI card, would still be limited for modern games. You'd be able to run Quake III or GTA Vice City, but the moment there's a lot of action taking place on the screen your frame rate would plummit.

A better option would be a cheap Duron rig, maybe even using onboard video. If you can't stretch that far I would recommend a PCI version of the Geforce 4 MX or Geforce FX 5200 card for better Direct-X support..just don't expect many frames per second. It can be an expensive upgrade considering the system you'd be installing it in, and would still be quite a way behind when compared with the slowest 'Applebred' Duron or Sempron (preferred).

It depends on what you want and how much money you have.

Hope this helps :-)

-------------------------
. AMD CPU Data: http://www.tomshardware.com/20.../amd...ult/page23.html & http://www.amdboard.com/amdid.html
. Belarc Advisor: http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
. GPU Comparison for Laptops: <a href="http://www.notebookche
 11/15/2005 10:13 AM

Author Icon
Charlie22911
Voodoo Programmer

take it from someone who has been in your shoes. the SIS530 graphics are horrible and since the M599LMR does not have an AGP slot you are SOL for any decent GPU. i would take wildcards recomendation on getting a cheap duron system which would be infanitely better than any K6-X. even with a XP barton at 2.5Ghz im not satisfied, its the curse us overclocking\preformance addicts have /wink.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='wink.gif' />.

-------------------------
Desktop:
Phenom II x6 1055T @ 4GHz | 4x2GB Patriot DDR3 1600 @ 2000 | 3x AMD Radeon HD6970 Crossfire

Laptop:
Core i7 2960xm @ 4.2Ghz | 4x4GB Kingston DDR3 1866 | 2x GTX 580m SLI OC 725/1450/1500
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information