Increase font size
Topic Title: Help Update Drivers
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/01/2005 11:04 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/01/2005 11:04 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Starskey

Hello,

I have recently had to reinstall my OS and format my HD. So now, I am trying to get all of my drivers and updates done, but I can't find where or how to update my CPU drivers. For one, I'm not quite sure the actual name of my CPU, and two, the amd site is a little confusing to navigate to find the drivers.

I've used EVEREST and came up with this information on my CPU:
CPU Type: AMD Athlon XP, 1873 MHz [overclocked] (12.5 x 150)
CPU Alias: Thorton.

I can't find any other information other than that above that suggests the CPU's name. If you need more information, please just ask. Thanks for all your help!
 04/01/2005 11:55 PM

Author Icon
jwsm

No drivers are required for the cpu. The only drivers you need are those for your motherboard and any add-on cards that you have like video, sound, modem, nic, etc.

-------------------------
There are two kinds of people in the computing world.....those who have lost data, and those who will.
If your data is worth anything, back it up!
 04/02/2005 02:57 AM

Author Icon
Starskey

Hmm...so this update that Microsoft is trying to get me to download and install..called "Microsoft Corporation - Other Hardware - AMD K7 Processor
Date last published: 5/15/2004
Advanced Micro Devices processor software update released on December 17 2002. " is nothing?
 04/02/2005 07:17 PM

Author Icon
Starskey

Also, now my CPU seems to be back at the default running speed of 1.266 GHz. Everytime I try and change it, when it reboots, nothing turns on. I hear the computer running and everything, but nothing beeps like normal, or shows up on the screen.
 04/04/2005 10:16 AM

Author Icon
jwsm

QUOTE (Starskey @ Apr 1 2005, 10:57 PM) Hmm...so this update that Microsoft is trying to get me to download and install..called "Microsoft Corporation - Other Hardware - AMD K7 Processor
Date last published: 5/15/2004
Advanced Micro Devices processor software update released on December 17 2002. " is nothing?
The only thing I would download from Microsoft Update is the patches and updates for the OS. Never download any drivers for your hardware from there. You should get them from the manufacturer of your hardware instead, which usually are the most up-to-date.

-------------------------
There are two kinds of people in the computing world.....those who have lost data, and those who will.
If your data is worth anything, back it up!
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information