Increase font size
Topic Title: Witch OS to use
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/07/2005 01:28 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/07/2005 01:28 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
hhagen

I'm biulding my first system from sratch what OS should I use? Are they windows XP pro compatible? Do I need to get windows 98 or Me to use a duron or athlonXP prossesor?

Thanks,

Hal
 03/07/2005 01:57 AM

Author Icon
Nick_R_23

As long as your motherboard is compatable with the operating system you are going to use, it should be all right. Double-check your motherboard manual to see if it is compatable with that operating system. Durons and Athlons will support Windows XP. Also, make sure your processor/ram/motherboard are all comfigured correctly, if not, your computer might not work correctly or it could fry something. Good Luck.
 03/20/2005 01:38 AM

Author Icon
somethingbrite

For me it really depends what I am going to use the PC for. WinXP is a stable OS but can be a bit of a resource hog, so if you have limited memory it can suck it up real quick unless you trim some of its bloatware and processes back (do a websearch for BlackViper's site to find a lot of WinXP trimming tips.) However WinXP, though a bit bloated benefits from better memory management that for instance Win98se. If you have older components, not simply the motherboard then perhaps their drivers will not support WinXP which will require either hardware upgrades or Using an older OS which there are drivers for. This is true of older Aureal Vortex soundcards and 3dfx videocards, though there are probably third party drivers out there that have been created by enthuisiasts of these products for use with WinXP.
Like I said, it depends on what you want to do with the PC and what software you wish to run as much as what equipment you have.
I used to have a triple boot system running Win98se, Win2K and WinXP, now I have a seperate machine running Win98se for retro games and older kit using the real drivers and a WinXP rig and I have stopped using Win2K altogether. A friend of mine uses a lot of music software that he claims simply runs better in Win2K and he only uses XP on his laptop.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information