Increase font size
Topic Title: Dead PC - PSU or CPU?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/18/2005 07:49 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/18/2005 07:49 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Rgemini

My brother's PC failed on him. It had worked fine for 2-3 years with an Athlon 1700 processor.

At first we thought it was a dodgy disk drive then found the noise was actually the PC speaker vibrating. Fault-finding, we removed all boards except AGP and disconnected all drives - same result. No keyboard lights and no screen display, although the CPU fan worked OK.

Noticing the Northbridge fan had seized we assumed it had been fried, although the system isn't overclocked at all, and decided to replace the motherboard. We did this tonight, using a PC Chips M848ALU.

The PC speaker remained quiet and the CPU fan ran, but everything else remained dead. No keyboard lights, no POST beeps, no monitor signal, nada. We also tried with an old monitor adaptor card instead of the AGP in case it was that, but no dice.

This seems to exonerate the Mobo. The only two things left are the PSU and the CPU and I don't know enough to be able to decide which one is more likely - or maybe there's something else I'm overlooking.

Can anyone suggest what the likely cause of this is, or advise if there's any way to decide the culprit given that we don't have any spare PSU or CPUs to try swapping?

03/19/2005 06:18 PM

Author Icon
Rgemini

Replying to myself, in the hope that it may help someone else later down the line ...

The problem was the PSU, not the CPU or Motherboard. Looks like before it failed completely it managed to cause some disk corruption though.

So my brother is down the cost of a new motherboard AND a new PSU. But now he has on-board ethernet and USB 2.0, which he didn't have before as well as an upgrade path.

(Wanders off, whistling "Always look on the bright side of life").
 03/20/2005 12:21 AM

Author Icon
somethingbrite

Did the PSU take out the Mainboard when it blew?
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information